Soccer’s Showalter garners regional honor

Iowa senior Morgan Showalter has been named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Division I All-Great Lakes Region Third Team, according to a release.

The honor comes after Showalter moved from midfield to defense for her senior season and helped the Hawkeyes secure a berth in the Big Ten Tournament with a 13-4-3 (5-4-3) record, a year after the team finish at the bottom of the conference.

"Morgan did a great job," head coach Ron Rainey told The Daily Iowan. "She moved position-wise into the back this year, and I thought it helped solidify our defense and gave us the ability to possess out of the back. That helped us become more competitive in those games."

She became Iowa’s all-time assists leader against Southeast Missouri State on Aug. 21 and ended her career with 27 assists to go along with 14 goals.

Showalter totaled 9 assists during her senior campaign, tying the record she set in 2008 for the most in a single season in program history.

The Cedar Rapids native started all 81 matches of her four-year career.

She was also named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week on Oct. 31, after she converted a penalty kick in a 2-0 victory over Wisconsin.

"It’s a nice award that she was noticed by other coaches we played against," Rainey said. "When a team does well, there are some individual accolades that come forward. That’s a reflection of how we did this year."

— by Ben Wolfson