Intramural dodge ball: Us Off dominates first two matches

The Field House racquetball courts are the home of the 3-on-3 intramural dodge ball tournament this fall, and divisions two and five kicked off their seasons on Tuesday night. The 6:30 p.m. matches included Boom! Roasted versus Hesstosterone, and Us Off against the Enginerds.

When Boom! Roasted first signed in and walked to the courts, the players took one look at the small size of the racquetball court and said the games will be like colonial warfare.

The games lived up to the hype. Balls slamming against the wall echoed in the closed-in courts, and almost all of the outs came from players being hit with the ball instead of from catches.

Because of the 3-on-3 nature of the sport, each individual game went by very quickly; each typically lasted between 30 seconds and a minute.

Boom! Roasted featured the only female in the 6:30 slate of games, and Xochiquetzal Martinez held her own in the team’s two matches of the night — even though the squad lost the first match in the decisive 15th game, 8-7.

"It was a lot of fun out there, and I wasn’t fazed at all by all of the bros," Martinez said. "I’m really good at dodging, I guess, and I even got some of the last outs of the game, which was pretty exciting. I showed them."

Boom! Roasted righted the ship in the next match, winning 8-6, against a fresh and energetic Spets-Spazes team. The Spazes jumped around the court yelling and banged on the glass, saying it was a way to try to stay pumped up.

"You need intensity in the intense game," Spaz team member Lucas Britton said.

Us Off, the other team in the 6:30 time slot, won the dodge-ball championship last year. The team started the 2011 season on the right foot, defending the title by crushing both the Enginerds and Hesstosterone.

"We have the same team this year, so hopefully, we can win it all again this year," Us Off’s Joseph Heckman said. "We all played baseball in high school, so that probably helps."

Us Off beat the freshman-dominated Enginerds, 8-2, and put up the same score against Hesstosterone. Both teams appeared lost and didn’t seem ready for the onslaught that Us Off delivered.

"They were really freakin’ good," Hesstosterone player Jake Hess said. "I mean, they had some mad skill — it was crazy. We thought we played well in the first match, but these guys brought us back to earth a little bit."