Molnar still going at ITAs, advances to final

Iowa senior Sonja Molnar advanced to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Central Region Championships finals with two singles wins on Sunday.

The tournament’s No. 2 overall seed, Molnar defeated Tulsa’s Anastasia Erofeeva (6-4, 6-2) in the quarterfinals and bested Nebraska’s Medeleine Geibert (6-2, 6-3) in the semifinals. Molnar’s progression into the quarterfinals came after defeating Minnesota’s Julia Courter (6-0, 6-1) on Oct. 22 in Tulsa, Okla. Molnar is 5-0 at the tournament.

"Sonja worked very hard today for those wins," head coach Katie Dougherty said in a release after Molnar beat Erofeeva and Geibert. "The scores don’t show it, but she played two very good players and had to play great tennis to beat them. [The finals] will be another test for her; she’s playing like the senior leader she is and outworking people."

Molnar’s next match is in the finals against No. 4-seed Samantha Vickers of Tulsa at 9 a.m. today.

Molnar also paired with Iowa freshman Shelby Talcott in doubles, and they recorded wins over Wichita State’s Delia Damaschin and Montse Blasco Fernandez (8-3) and Tulsa’s Caroline Beaulieu and Isaura Enrique (8-2). The Hawkeyes then lost to Erofeeva and Ewa Szatkowska, 9-7, in the quarterfinals.

Talcott was eliminated from singles competition on Oct. 21 by Minnesota’s Natallia Pintusava, (7-6, 3-6, 5-7). She had previously beaten Szatkowska, (6-2, 1-6, 6-3).

— by Conrad Swanson