Robert Randolph and the Family Band play at the Englert

Creating a combination of funk, soul, and gospel with their music, Robert Randolph and the Family Band will bring its interesting sound to the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St., at 8 p.m. on Saturday. Admission is $25.

Randolph, known for playing the pedal steel guitar, has been included as one of Rolling Stone‘s "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time."

At the Englert, Randolph and the band will play from their most recent album, We Walk This Road, which they worked on with producer T Bone Burnett. The album acts as a celebration of African-American music for the past 100 years. It mixes gospel, blues, and rock together in order to allow the group to relate the history yet connect with the present.

Opening for Robert Randolph and the Family Band will be Ha Ha Tonka of Missouri. The band is on tour promoting its album Death of a Decade. The band considers this to be a rustic recording because the members created it in an old barn in the Hudson River Valley. Ha Ha Tonka has performed in Iowa City numerous times but never at this venue.

"We have never played at the Englert," guitarist Brian Roberts said. "But we are excited to play with Robert Randolph and the Family Band, because those guys are incredible."

— by Samantha Gentry