Two field-hockey players honored

Iowa field hockey’s Jessica Barnett and Kathleen McGraw were awarded Offensive and Defensive Big Ten Player of the Week on Tuesday, according to a release.

McGraw, a junior goalkeeper, racked up 21 saves over the weekend and earned a shutout in the Hawkeyes’ win over No. 18 Ohio State on Oct. 8. The last Iowa player to receive the conference’s defensive award was Meghan Beamesderfer (now a Hawkeye assistant coach) on Nov. 2, 2009.

Barnett, a midfielder, tallied three goals and six points in wins over the Buckeyes and Ohio University. The native of North Vancouver netted the winning goal against the Bobcats.

"Jess and Merty [McGraw] had unbelievable presence in both games this weekend," head coach Tracey Griesbaum said in a release. "Jess did a great job of converting on our penalty corners. She ran the field and defended with great intensity. Merty was poised and aggressive. Her decision-making and ability to organize were excellent."

Neither player had previously won a Big Ten weekly award, but the offensive honor was Iowa’s third of the season. Sophomore Kim Scraper took home two-consecutive awards on Sept. 6 and Sept. 13.

The Hawkeyes’ final home game of the season will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, when the Black and Gold host Indiana.

— by Nick Szafranski