Hawkeyes inconsistent at Lady Northern, finish 10th

Inconsistency has plagued the Iowa women’s golf team throughout the fall season, and it reared its head again on Monday at the Lady Northern Intercollegiate in French Lick, Ind.

The team finished 10th out of 12 teams in the tournament, 39 strokes off the pace set by Central Florida.

A different Hawkeye held the team’s top score in each of the three rounds.

Senior Chelsea Harris fired a 2-over 73 to lead the charge in the first round, then she fell back in the second round. Junior Kristi Cardwell carded a 1-under 70 in the second round to move into the top 10 before struggling on Monday. Junior Gigi Digrazia and freshman Shelby Phillips carded the low scores in the final round, each scoring a 5-over 76.

Head coach Megan Menzel said the experience it should help her team moving forward.

"I think it was a good learning experience," she said. "This course exposed some of our weaknesses, so we just need to go back and work on those things."

Menzel said the inconsistency, while frustrating, speaks to the depth of the team. She said she has several players who are capable of scoring well and doesn’t have to rely on a single player in every round.

Cardwell finished in a tie for 23rd place at 16-over for the tournament. Harris ended in 33rd place with a 19-over 232. DiGrazia carded a 24-over. Freshman Lauren English finished in a tie for 47th place with a 25-over, and fellow freshman Phillips was right behind her at 26-over, tied for 50th.

Sophomore Karly Grouwinkel, competing individually, ended in a tie for 69th at 59-over.

The Hawkeyes will wait almost three weeks before competing in the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational in Austin, Texas, on Oct. 31-Nov. 2.

— by Tork Mason