Farokhmanesh passes Lee’s 35-point, 21-rebound performance

Ali Farokhmanesh knows how to play in elimination games.

The former Northern Iowa guard proved as much when he led his team to a 93-91 victory in the first round of the Prime Time League playoffs.

With just over four minutes remaining and the game tied at 82, Farokhmanesh took over. He scored 7-straight points for his team, including all five of his free-throw attempts, to give the team an 89-84 lead with 40.7 seconds left to play.

Monica’s/L.L. Pelling (3-5) had a last-second chance to keep its season alive, but the team was unable to get a tip-in on an intentionally missed free-throw by Tennessee guard Wes Washpun.

Monica’s was playing without leading scorer Roy Devyn Marble, who was sitting out with an ankle injury he sustained last week. Three other players also didn’t play, including former Hawkeye Duez Henderson.

Temple forward Anthony Lee stepped up to lead the team and almost did enough to win the game by himself. The redshirt freshman scored 35 points on 16-for-28 shooting and grabbed 21 rebounds.

"The last couple of minutes, I think we missed some easy shots," Lee said. "Overall, I think it was a good game. We just came up short at the end."

Lee and Devon Archie had a significant size advantage over the post players wearing the black jerseys of Jill Armstong of Lepic-Kroeger (4-4). The two combined for 31 of the squad’s 50 rebounds, and blocked several shots.

"I like playing with [Lee]," Archie said. "We’re both long and athletic [and] quick around the rim. He’s a lefty, and I’m right-handed, so we balance each other out."

Iowa forward Zach McCabe played well for Armstrong in the win. The sophomore scored a team-high 26 points on 12-for-19 shooting and had 11 rebounds.

McCabe played aggressively the entire game by driving hard to the hoop, crashing the boards, and knocking down open jumpers.

"I just try to find ways to get our team going," he said. "I try to lead by the way I play."

Helping McCabe and Farokhmanesh get the win was the trio of Eric Washpun, Tucker Wentzien, and Darius Stokes. They combined for 50 points, and Eric Washpun and Wentzien made important free-throws in the final minute of the game.

Tennessee freshman Wes Washpun and former Hawkeye Darryl Moore played well in the loss and provided some highlight-reel plays. Washpun scored 20 points, yanked down 7 rebounds, and threw out 10 assists. More than once, fans cheered as Washpun rose up for a breakaway dunk or contorted in midair for a lay-up.

Moore scored 17 points and had the defensive play of the night. Midway through the second half, Farokhmanesh drew a double-team and flipped the ball over his shoulder to a wide-open Wentzien.

As he went up for the dunk, Moore came across the lane and blocked Wentzien’s shot out of bounds, drawing oohs and ahs from the crowd.

McCabe and Farokhmanesh will face Northern Iowa guard Anthony James’ No. 1-seeded team in the semifinals on Tuesday. McCabe said he didn’t want to make any predictions about the game and just wanted to enjoy the win.

"I’m just letting things come to me … I like playing with these guys," McCabe said. "We’re winning, so it’s a lot of fun."