Iowa track coaches earn regional honors

With the outdoor track and field season coming to a close, two Iowa coaches were honored on Monday for their historic efforts.

Iowa men’s head coach Larry Wieczorek was named the Midwest Region Coach of the Year by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association for the outdoor season. It is the first time he has earned the award during his 15 years as the Hawkeyes’ head coach.

“This is a tremendous honor,” he said in a release. “It’s a reflection of the great work done by our student-athletes and the success we’ve had as a program during the championship season.”

Assistant coach Joey Woody was also honored, being named the Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year by the same organization. Woody also won the award toward the end of the indoor season in March.

The men’s squad won the outdoor Big Ten championships in Iowa City three weeks ago, edging Minnesota 125.5-123 to claim the title for the first time since 1967.

Wieczorek was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year following his team’s championship victory, becoming the first track and field coach in school history to earn the honor.

The Hawkeyes will end their season later this week at the NCAA meet in Des Moines. The Black and Gold are set to compete in seven events.

— by Ben Schuff