DI Female Athlete of the Year: Jaime Printy

Jaime Printy led the Hawkeyes in points per game, 3-point percentage, and free-throw percentage in 2010-11. She was named honorable mention All-American by AP and was also a second team All-Big Ten selection by the league’s coaches. The 5-11 guard is the youngest player in school history to garner All-America recognition.

Printy’s success vaulted her into the top spot as The Daily Iowan’s Female Athlete of the Year, after averaging 16.8 points per game and shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc.

Only a sophomore, the Marion native is on pace to set the all-time scoring record in Iowa women’s basketball history. Cindy Haugejorde holds the record at 2,059. Through two seasons, Printy has amassed 1,021 points.

For the Hawkeyes this season, Printy helped to lead a squad that improved tremendously from its 2009-10 campaign.

"This season was a lot of fun," Printy said. "We went 22-9 and everyone came together as a team. We didn’t accomplish all of our goals, but we can’t hang our heads going into next year."

In March, Iowa fell to Ohio State in the Big Ten Tournament for the second-straight year. In a matchup of 4 and 5 seeds, the Hawkeyes lost to the Buckeyes, 71-61. Lisa Bluder’s squad then fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Gonzaga, 92-86.

Printy was always a bright spot despite the team’s results. The sharpshooter led the team with 19 points against Ohio State and 25 against Gonzaga. After focusing on defense last summer, she improved her game as a sophomore.

"That’s where [Printy’s] main focus was, strength and defense, and she’s done a good job in both areas," Bluder said in February. "Offensively, she shot the ball well for us [this season], she penetrated, she got to the free-throw line well. She did a lot of good things offensively for us, but she had to round out her game defensively, and she has."

Printy praised Kachine Alexander for her progress and said she enjoyed playing with the now-Minnesota Lynx guard. Alexander — who finished second in the DI’s Player of the Year voting — had a team-high 9.5 rebounds per game in 2010-11.

In November, Alexander praised her teammate for becoming an all-around player.

"Jaime came in, and she kind of was just like ‘OK, I’m thrust into the starting lineup,’ " Alexander said. "She just kind of went with what she could, and you kind of kept having to tell her ‘Jaime, you are a great player, keep shooting the ball’ … She [was] in the gym in the summertime. She is confident in her shot."

Printy will lead the Hawkeyes into the 2011-12 season; the team will return four starters and add five recruits. This summer, she will travel to Colorado Springs, Colo., for the 2011 USA Basketball Women’s World University Games team trials on May 22-25.

"I’m definitely looking forward to this summer," she said. "I can’t wait for the recruits to get here; we have five good players coming in. We have some experience coming back, too. I’m excited for next year."