Men’s gymnasts post record score at Nebraska

Despite taking second place to No. 9 Nebraska, the Iowa men’s gymnastics team posted a record team score of 351.800 in a triangular meet in Lincoln on March 19. The mark broke the record of 349.400, set in 2008. The No. 11 Hawkeyes also bested No. 7 Minnesota for the first time in four tries this season — the Gophers took third.

On the record-breaking night, the Hawkeyes tied or broke three individual school records. In his final regular-season meet, senior Ben Ketelsen set the Iowa mark on horizontal bar with a 14.900, winning the event for the Hawkeyes. Ketelsen also tied the school record on pommel horse with a 14.900, good for second place in the event.

Sophomore Anton Gryshayev tied his own school record on rings with a second-place score of 15.200.

Matt McGrath claimed two wins for the Hawkeyes, winning on both the floor exercise and the vault.

Head coach JD Reive was very pleased with his team’s performance with the Big Ten championships approaching on April 1-2.

“Nobody was a real standout or anything, but as a team, we were closer and closer to where we want to be,” Reive said in a release. “This was a strong performance for us, and we still have some improvements to make heading to the Big Ten championships.”

— by Ryan Murphy