GymHawks wrap up conference meet in sixth

The Iowa women’s gymnastics team finished in sixth place at the Big Ten championships on March 19 in Minneapolis with a final team score of 194.85.

GymHawk senior Houry Gebeshian placed fifth in the all-around competition with a score of 39.225 and was selected for the second-team all-conference for the second year in a row.

Gebeshian, who has struggled with hitting her routines all season, posted her third-highest all-around score of the year.

“Houry had a fantastic meet, and we’re thrilled for her,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “She’s worked incredibly hard this season.”

Junior Jessa Hansen (38.55) and senior Rebecca Simbhudas (38.3) placed 13th and 15th in the all-around competition and were named first-team all-conference.

The GymHawks fell short of their season-best team score of 196.45. Their score of 194.85 was the lowest since the Feb. 6 against North Carolina.

“We’ve been so consistent this entire year but made too many mistakes [March 19],” Libby said. “The season still isn’t over, and we have a lot of work to do.”

The GymHawks hope to be selected to appear at the regional championships, where they will aim to improve their performance from the weekend and continue toward NCAAs. Regionals will be held April 2.

“Regionals will be an opportunity for us to show what we’re truly capable of,” Libby said. “A lot of work needs to be done before then, but we’re up to the challenge.”