Six Hawkeye men set to compete in College Station

The field for the 2011 NCAA men’s indoor track and field championships was completed Monday night. Of the 270 entries, six were claimed by members of the Iowa men’s track and field team.

All the athletes traveling to College Station, Texas, this weekend will head into the meet with some of the top times in the country.

Of the six, five automatically qualified at numerous points throughout the season.

Troy Doris will bring the country’s fifth-best triple jump mark to the meet. The junior’s season-best leap of 54 feet is the longest in school history.

Junior Justin Austin holds the school record in the 200 meters, and he will be one of 16 competitors in the event at nationals. Austin holds the 10th fastest time in the nation at 20.83 seconds.

Sophomore Jeff Thode became the fourth Hawkeye to automatically qualify when he ran the mile at the last-chance qualifier in 3:58.72 last weekend.

Erik Sowinski holds the 14th-best time nationally in the 800 meters — one of two events the captain will race in at the NCAAs.

The junior will also compete in the 4×400 meter relay. Last weekend, Sowinski ran the third leg in the 3:06.66 relay, a time that only five other schools have bested during the indoor season.

Also ranked high nationally in his event is sophomore Jordan Mullen, whose school-record time of 7.75 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles is tied for 12th best in the country.

The meet will start on Friday and conclude Saturday.

— by Ben Schuff