Iowa women break two school records in Ames

The Iowa women’s track and field team broke two school records over this past weekend at the Iowa State Classic in Ames.

Sophomore Majesty Tutson broke the school record in the weight throw with a toss of 17.78 meters on Feb. 11 — good for second place.

Senior Bethany Praska broke another school record on Feb. 12 when she finished the 800 meters in 2:06:20. The previous mark was 2:06:38.

Junior Danielle Berndt demolished the competition in the non-seeded 3,000 meters on Feb. 11 with a time of 10:06:99, also a personal record. Another junior, Betsy Flood, ran in the seeded 3,000-meters Feb. 12 and took third, finishing in 9:24:68.

Freshman Erin Jones continued her season of improvements, taking second in the 200 meters and setting a personal best at 24.06 seconds. On Feb. 12, freshman Ashley Liverpool ran 54.24 in the 400 meters, a career best.

Another thrower, freshman Micaela Haight, threw a personal best in the shot put Saturday with a final throw of 13.94 meters.

The Hawkeyes, who have a strong core of distance runners, fared well in the mile. Junior McKenzie Melander set a personal record, finishing in 4:42:54 and taking fifth. Finishing right behind her was senior Lauren Hardesty in 4:42:56.

The 4-by-4 relay team of senior captain Tiffany Hendricks, Praska, junior Nicole Erickson, and Liverpool topped off the day by taking second place with a time of 3:40:42.

— by Amy Tiffany