Women’s tennis falls to Kansas State

The No. 30 Iowa women’s tennis team lost to Kansas State on Sunday, 6-1, at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Center.

Seniors Alexis Dorr and Jessica Young each dropped a late point in the third set of their singles matches. After battling back and forth, Young ended up losing to Antea Huljev (1-6, 6-4, 7-6).

Kansas State’s Karla Bonacic took down Dorr (3-6, 7-5, 6-2).

“The spots where we lost, they just took it from us,” head coach Katie Dougherty said. “It’s not that we were doing things wrong, it’s just that they came up with some really good stuff.”

No. 70 ranked singles player and junior Sonja Molnar lost to Petra Niedermayerova (6-1, 6-3) at the Hawkeyes’ No. 1 spot. Freshman Christina Harazin slid up to Iowa’s No. 5 spot but dropped her match to Ana Gomez Aleman (6-1, 6-1). In the No. 6 spot, junior Ally Majercik fell to Petra Chuda (7-5, 6-2).

With Iowa’s only point of the day, senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei took down Nina Sertic in dominant fashion (6-1, 6-3).

“[Poggensee-Wei] had a breakthrough today. She’s had troubles starting matches well and she came out firing today and did a great job,” Dougherty said.

Young and Molnar defeated Kansas State’s Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic, 8-3, for Iowa’s only doubles win.

“Their chemistry is good; they complement each other,” Dougherty said. “Jessica is a good ball striker, and Sonja is really good at the net and moving; both of their serves create opportunities. We just have to get those other two teams going.”

With that victory, Young and Molnar ran their overall doubles season record to 4-0. After beating the 15th-ranked team earlier in the season, the duo is likely to be paired together for the rest of the season.

“We are like best friends on the team; we get along really, really well, and we are very alike in personalities,” Young said. “If I’m not playing, she is able to pick me up and vice versa.”

Dorr and Poggensee-Wei battled against Nina Sertic and Gomez Aleman, but eventually fell to the Wildcat duo, 8-6. Iowa’s freshmen pair of Jessica Cohen and Harazin dropped their match versus Nina Sertic and Gomez Aleman, 8-3.

“It was a pretty tough match; we played long games and long points,” Poggensee-Wei said. “It was just about [Kansas State] out-working [us].”