Hawkeye hoops hands Hoosiers heartbreak

Melsahn Basabe recorded his fifth double-double of the year, and Bryce Cartwright hit a 12-foot jumper with 1:28 left to propel the Iowa men’s basketball team to a 64-63 win over Indiana on Feb. 5. in Bloomington, Ind.

The Hawkeyes (10-13, 3-8 Big Ten) stormed back from a late 10-point deficit to beat the Hoosiers (12-12, 3-8) for the second time this season. Intense defensive pressure forced Indiana’s Verdell Jones III and Victor Oladipo to miss shots in the closing seconds.

Iowa received a 20-point, 13-rebound performance from Basabe, who scored eight of the team’s last 16 points. Eric May recorded 11 points, including a pair of highlight-reel dunks that helped the Hawkeyes post a 34-18 advantage over the Hoosiers in the paint.

Cartwright’s game-winning jumpshot stole the spotlight, though. The point guard dished out eight assists, but said he had no problem keeping the ball when it mattered most.

“I’ve been hitting that shot for a long time, so in the clutch I figured I should go to it,” the junior from Compton, Calif., said in a postgame radio interview.

The win gave Iowa consecutive conference victories for the first time since the team won three in a row in 2007. Coincidentally, Indiana was also a victim in the streak four years ago by coach Steve Alford’s final Hawkeye team.