Men’s hoops signs Ohio forward White

Ohio native Aaron White signed a national letter of intent to play for the Hawkeyes on Monday, head coach Fran McCaffery said. White orally committed in October.

The first-year head coach applauded the 6-8, 215-pound forward’s versatility and athleticism in a statement.

"Aaron can finish in traffic, has tremendous court demeanor, [and] doesn’t rattle," McCaffery said.

White is a four-year letterman at Strongsville High in Strongsville, Ohio, and has led the Mustangs to two-consecutive district-level appearances. This year, the Rivals.com three-star recruit was named to Rise Magazine’s preseason all-Ohio second team.

At Strongsville, he averaged 11 rebounds and three blocks per game as a sophomore and earned Associated Press honorable mention all-state honors after his junior campaign in which he averaged 19.5 points, 15 rebounds, and five blocks.

"[White] can play any frontcourt position," McCaffery said. "Aaron can handle the ball, shoot it from 3-point range, attack the rim, help against the press, be a pick-and-pop [power forward], and has a low-post game."

White chose Iowa over Boston College, Duquesne, Northwestern, and St. Bonaventure. He joins Cedar Rapids native Josh Oglesby as McCaffery’s fall signees. Oglesby signed his letter last week.

— by Seth Roberts