Iowa women’s basketball lands top-10 recruiting class

Iowa head women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder announced Wednesday that five players have signed national letters of intent to become Hawkeyes next fall.

The highly touted quintet — which features three guards, a forward, and a center — is ranked No. 10 in the country by ESPN HoopGurlz’ Joe Montes.

Highlighting the class for the Hawkeyes is Racine, Wis., native Sam Logic. The 5-11 guard is the No. 10 ranked recruit in the class of 2011 by ESPN HoopGurlz, and she was named all-county Player of the Year as a sophomore and junior.

Logic cited Iowa’s family-like atmosphere as one of her biggest reasons for choosing the Hawkeyes.

"I love the coaches and players."

Logic was also named the HoopGurlz Breakout Player of the Summer in 2010, and she averaged 16.4 points and 6.8 assists last year as a junior.

"[Sam] really came onto the national scene last year," Bluder said. "She’s extremely versatile, an unbelievable competitor, and she’s really a smart basketball player. She knows the game really well."

Also in the Top 100 is 6-2 forward Virginia Johnson, who also signed her allegiance to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday. Johnson — the 62-ranked prospect nationally — attends City High and averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds last year as a junior.

ESPN’s recruiting evaluation said Johnson is "effective on the boards and isn’t hesitant to throw her lean build into the mix when things get physical."

Joining Johnson on the frontline is Oakdale, Minn., native Bethany Doolittle. The 6-4 center led Hill-Murray High School to a state runner-up finish last year in her junior season.

Doolittle — who holds the single-season Hill-Murray record for blocks (127) — will be the second tallest player on the Hawkeye roster in 2011-12, after 6-5 Morgan Johnson.

The fourth member in Iowa’s class, Kathryn Reynolds, will reinforce the team’s guard depth next season. Reynolds suffered a season-ending ACL tear last year, but averaged 9.7 points as a sophomore.

Melissa Dixon, a 5-8 guard from Johnsburg, Ill., rounds out the Hawkeyes’ prestigious recruiting class. Dixon is a two-time Fox Valley all-conference pick and garnered honorable mention all-state honors from the Chicago Tribune as a junior.

Overall, Bluder said, she is satisfied with the incoming Hawkeye.

"We’re excited about the group that we have," she said. "We knew for quite a while who we were getting, so we’re happy [with this class]."

DI reporter Jon Frank contributed to this report.