Spotlight Iowa City: G Spot owner does it all

From business casual to punk rock to dreadlocks, Krista Goldsberry can do it all.

The owner of Iowa City’s G Spot Hair Design, she graduated from Washington High in 1983 without knowing what to do. She did know one thing, though: She wasn’t cut out for the traditional four-year bachelor’s degree.

So she decided to enroll at the Bill Hills School of Cosmetology in Fort Madison. Three years later, she relocated to Iowa City and opened her first salon, Transitions Hair and Body Studio, at the age of 22.

“I didn’t feel like I wasn’t missing anything if I didn’t go to college,” Goldsberry said.

That salon operated for six years before closing in 1998. At that point, Goldsberry traveled and studied independently to gain more experience.

Now, the 41-year-old from Cedar Rapids leads G Spot, 424 E. Jefferson St., and cites her salon’s customer service as the key to her business’ success, along with the array of five talented stylists.

“They want to get the value of what they are getting out of,” Goldsberry said.

The salon, which specializes in daring cuts and color schemes, also is one of the only studios in the area that specializes in dreadlocks. She learned the process eight years ago.

“Even in the region, there aren’t that many salons that are competent in dealing with deadlocks,” said JoAnn Lancaster-Sinclair, the manager and education leader of the salon. “We saw a void in the market for anyone working with dreadlocks that were applicable with different types of hair.”

Goldberry’s achievements don’t always deal with pure aesthetics.

G Spot participates in the national program “Locks of Love,” which aims to give people hair from beauty salon floors to those who suffer from long-term medical hair loss.

The salon gives free haircuts on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and on Valentine’s Day to anyone willing to participate in the program. Participation in the program is required for all stylists and apprentices.

For the past 10 years, G Spot has also hosted an annual hair show to showcase the salon’s bold hairstyles. This year’s event will be held on April 9 at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St.

Throughout the years, Goldsberry has decided to give proceeds to a local program, but in the wake of recent events, she has decided to give all proceeds to help the earthquake-ravaged Haiti.

“She runs her salon differently than others,” Jim Thibodaux said. The 46-year-old mortgage officer at US Bank has known Goldsberry for more than 20 years.

Since being an old patron of Goldberry’s salons, he is enamored by her vision and credits her for acquiring the current space that G Spot is housed in now.

“She has a lot of admirable qualities,” Thibodaux said. “I trust her completely.”