Strength and conditioning clinic set

The Iowa strength and conditioning program will host its inaugural women’s strength training and injury-prevention clinic in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Feb. 13 at 8 a.m.

The event is free to the public, and all coaches, parents, and female athletes in grades six through eight are encouraged to attend.

The clinic seeks to teach girls simple strength-training movements that don’t require the use of equipment. Female athletes will learn basics posture, running, and landing mechanics, as well as how to incorporate those movements into a time efficient warm-up routine.

Iowa director of strength and conditioning J.C. Moreau and assistant strength and conditioning coach Gabby Quiggle will conduct the clinic. Members of the UI strength and conditioning staff will also be on hand to assist.

“It has become widely known that there are a tremendous number of injuries occurring to young female athletes,” Moreau said. “Injuries in sports will never disappear, but it is our hope that we can continue to learn preventive measures, be proactive, and get the information out to female athletes at the grass-roots level. We believe that if young female athletes can learn these movement patterns and exercises at a young age, and practice them with consistency, they should decrease the likelihood of non-contact injuries.”

For more information call (319) 384-4268 or e-mail Moreau at [email protected].

— by Ryan Young