Blue Chips roll to 3-on-3 win

CR Finest was unable to survive a barrage of jumpers from the aptly named Blue Chips Wednesday in the Field House, and the Chippers took the best-of-three series, 15-5 and 15-4.

“We like to make it rain,” said senior Mike Thomas of Blue.

And rain it did.

Blue Chips shot a sizzling 58 percent in the two contests as all three members found their shooting strokes early and often. The only important shot the team couldn’t hit was the free-throw to determine which squad would start with the ball.

“They kind of lit it up from deep,” senior T.J. Sayre of CR Finest said.

But it was a different story for CR Finest. The team finished with a 24 percent shooting performance.

The contest was extremely fast-paced with the only time for a breather coming between games. It didn’t help there were only five offensive rebounds in a total of 69 shots. That made for a lot of one-shot possessions and quick transitions to defense.

But if offensive rebounds were sparse, experience certainly was not.

Both teams boast all seniors, but the Blue Chips players took advantage of their basketball background.

Everyone transferred from Augustana College, where all three played on the basketball team.

“This is a lot more fun,” Brian Larson said. “I got kind of burned out [at Augustana].”

But there certainty weren’t signs of fatigue or rust when Blue Chips took the court.

Some of the team’s motivation may have come from its infatuation with a woman named Morgan — someone the players said they really like and dedicated their performance to.

Unfortunately, the enigmatic Morgan wasn’t there to see the game, and neither was CR Finest’s captain. Bronner said the team missed his leadership, among other things.

“We wanted to sub, but he was missing tonight,” he said.

Blue Chips was at a slight disadvantage as well.

Thomas was sporting a heavily self-taped right hand for the game. He said he was picking up a loose ball when an opposing player dove and fell on his hand, jamming his thumb back into his wrist.

“I’m not sure if it’s dislocated or what,” he said. “But what can you do about it?”

Whatever the injury, it didn’t seem to affect his play. Thomas hit the majority of his shots, including a nice spin move in the lane for a bucket.

“We just get it to the hot hand,” he said.

That distinction certainly belonged to Blue Chips’ Mike Kolze.

Kolze was Devan Bawinkel-esque as he made shot after shot from beyond the arc. It didn’t matter if the shot came off the dribble or he spotted up — it just seemed to fall.

“We take after our football team,” Kolze said. “We don’t want to take any prisoners.”