Bluder’s Bunch downs Columbia

Unlike its 69-66 loss to West Virginia on Nov. 27, the Iowa women’s basketball team was on the right side of an exhilarating finish a day later.

The Hawkeyes (5-2) defeated Columbia (3-3), 72-69, in the consolation game of the Nugget Classic in Reno, Nev., on Nov. 28. A 3-pointer from sophomore Kamille Wahlin with 16 seconds remaining secured an Iowa victory.

She finished the contest with 18 points and four assists.

“It felt great to hit that last shot,” she said in a release. “My teammates did a great job of running the final play, and I was fortunate enough to be the one open for the last shot.”

Wahlin’s shot came fewer than 40 seconds after Iowa freshman Jaime Printy tied the game at 69.

Columbia’s Lauren Dwyer missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have sent the game to overtime.

The Hawkeyes earned the victory despite having only six players for the game’s final 6:56. Iowa dressed eight players for the contest, but freshman Gabby Machado was ejected following a flagrant foul, and sophomore Kelly Krei fouled out with 6:56 remaining.

Freshman Morgan Johnson recorded career-highs with 18 points and 12 rebounds, her first career double-double.

Iowa will return to Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday to host Boston College in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge at 7:30 p.m. The game will be televised live on the Big Ten Network.

— by Jordan Garretson