Dodgeball domination

Favre not only excels in football, but dodge ball as well.

In the Field House on Thursday, Favre’s Favorites, the All-University intramural flag-football champion, defeated Loud and Slow, 10-1.

Intramural dodge ball is a three-on-three event played with three balls. The first team to 10 wins is declared the winner, with the victor of each match starting the next one with two dodge balls.

The event has no referees, leaving the two squads to make judgment calls themselves. Despite not having officials, there were no arguments regarding any calls.

Extremely fast-paced, each contest lasted no longer than a couple of minutes. Anyone who decided to go to the bathroom would miss at least one or two matches.

Favre’s Favorites defeated Loud and Slow in under a half hour.

The Loud and Slow players appeared shocked after the game, unsure of the massacre that had just happened.

“I feel that we battled hard,” Loud and Slow player Cole Carrigan said. “They were just too tough.”

Favre’s Favorites is made up of fifth-year seniors Nick McCoy and Derek “White Chocolate” Johnson, and seniors A.J. Palash and Jed Seward.

This is not a true underdog story, though. Favre’s Favorites was the odds-on favorite to win.

“We’ve got plenty of experience playing dodge ball,” McCoy said. “It just feels awesome to conquer another team by hitting them with a ball.”

He won intramural dodge ball three-consecutive years at the beginning of his college career, and Johnson won the event last year as a member of Off Dan Whalen.

With the games being played on a cramped racquetball court, it appears the only strategy is to aimlessly whip the ball at opposing players.

But Johnson said that isn’t the case.

“The main strategy is you don’t want to be the one to throw the ball first, especially if you only have one ball,” he said. “If you make the other team throw it first, then it leaves the thrower open to being hit, and you can end up with another ball.”

The losing squad’s name best described its play during the game. The sound of dodge balls hitting the Loud and Slow players mixed with disappointing yells that echoed loudly throughout the court.

Loud and Slow members couldn’t avoid the bevy of dodge balls continually soaring at them. Favre’s Favorites had control of at least two balls, and sometimes all three, for the majority of the game.

After taking first in flag-football and second in mini-golf, Favre’s Favorites decided to make a run at the All-University intramural championship. McCoy and Johnson finished second to Team Chino in the All-U championship last season.

After Thursday, the squad appears poised to take down another intramural event.

“We’ve been practicing the five Ds of dodge ball,” Johnson joked, referring to the tips given in the Dodge Ball: A True Underdog Story — dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge.