DCD defense dominates Dirt Show

After Wednesday night’s game at the Hawkeye Recreation Fields, DCD has still only allowed one touchdown all year.

The squad’s sterling defense shut out Dirt Show, 27-0.

Initially, it didn’t look as though either team would score. Both teams ended their opening possessions with punts, and Dirt Show’s first play was a botched snap.

“We always start slowly,” junior Tucker Sulzberger said. “It’s usually, like, 12-0 at half, or something like that.”

Sulzberger was close. The score was 14-0 at halftime.

The complete lack of offense by Dirt Show was mostly due to DCD’s pressure. Dirt Show quarterbacks Kyle Tevebaugh and Mike Voitek were under duress throughout the game.

Dirt Show sophomore Alex Johnson said the team usually goes with the quarterback who’s performing.

“We just go with whoever’s hot,” he said.

But Wednesday’s signal-caller was tough to pick. Tevebaugh started, but after he yielded subpar results, Dirt Show opted to go with the senior Voitek.

However, things didn’t run smoothly for him either.

Just before halftime, Dirt Show’s Sean Phalen intercepted a lateral deep in DCD territory. With time for one more play, Voitek looked to the end zone but was sacked by a diving Rudy Dell, who had several key tackles and pass break-ups throughout the game.

During a fourth-quarter series, Voitek was sacked on back-to-back to back plays, which resulted in a turnover on downs in the redzone.

“They had a couple of quick guys,” Johnson said. “They’re a good team. We couldn’t keep up with them tonight.”

The pressure caused Voitek to move around in the pocket and throw both off balance and on the run, resulting in a multitude of tipped balls and three interceptions.

Voitek’s last pick came late in the fourth quarter. His pass was deflected and caught by DCD’s Mike Kyrillis, who conducted his best impression of Deion Sanders, dancing his way into the end zone.

For Dirt Show, there won’t be nearly as much dancing because a strong season was ended early in the playoffs.

“Guys are upset, but we’ll get over it,” Johnson said. “There’s always next year.”

DCD hopes to continue marching on with its perfect season. Since the squad has only allowed one score on the year, DCD players felt slighted by not being ranked at all.

“I think the rankings are from last year’s teams,” Sulzberger said. “I don’t think they get a chance to come out and see some of the other teams play.”

Meanwhile, Sulzberger and DCD can earn the respect they seek by continuing to dominate.

“We knew we would have to play hard every game in the regular season to make it here,” Sulzberger said. “We’ll continue to play just as hard in the playoffs.”