2 charged with theft

A man who had been missing from the Hope House for a month reportedly stole from a home and assaulted officers, University Heights police reported.

Beauhanan Walker, 25, is charged with second-degree theft, absence from custody, interference with official acts, assault on an officer causing injury, and trespass. He had signed out of the facility on Aug. 28 to go to Wal-Mart in Coralville for an hour.

Another man, Tony Bealer Jr. 19, address unknown, is also charged with second-degree theft in the same incident.

On Wednesday, Walker was being held at Johnson County Jail on a $17,500 bond; Bealer was being held on a $7,500 bond.

According to police, a woman said Bealer and Walker were in her apartment Tuesday and she later discovered she was missing some items, valuing more than $1,000.

Officers found Bealer and Walker later Tuesday evening. They allegedly discovered the victim’s stolen items under the coach Bealer was sitting on. When making contact with Walker, the man reportedly gave police false information before throwing his elbow back, slamming the door, and fleeing from police. Bealer also fled from police, reports show.

When officers pursued Walker, he allegedly kicked an officer in the face; another officer injured a knee.

— by Kurtis Hiatt