Prep roundup

Regina romps

The Regina Regals shut down the Camanche Indians, 48-0, Sept. 11 in Camanche.

Regina’s Jack Verducci started the scoring with a 4-yard run to paydirt. He also completed nine-of-13 passes for 149 yards and two touchdowns.

Kevin Arnold added a touchdown with a 3-yard run in the first quarter. Zach Pechous led the Regals in scoring with a 13-yard pass from Verducci, a 50-yard kickoff return, and a punt returned 39 yards for a touchdown.

Regina extended its lead when Verducci connected with Paul Jensen on a 45-yard touchdown pass.

Nate Streb then added a 13-yard touchdown run. Kicker Daniel Larew was 6-of-7 in point after attempts. Arnold and Matt Miller each had seven tackles. Arnold had two interceptions.

The Regals will meet the North Cedar Knights on Friday in Regina’s Homecoming game.

— by Samantha Osterhaus

City, West to vie for ‘Boot’

For the 40th time, City and West will battle on Thursday for “The Boot” — a trophy held by the winning football team for the year after a victory.

For the past four years, the Little Hawks have kept the boot safe, holding off the Trojans both at home and at West. City’s string of wins is the second best streak for both schools, the longest being the Little Hawks’ seven-year stint from 1988 through 1994. City High won last year’s game, 21-7.

The 2-1 Trojan varsity team has been practicing hard all season and will certainly put up a fight against the top-ranked 3-0 Little Hawks.

The Cedar Rapids Kennedy Cougers robbed the Trojans of their perfect season in overtime Sept. 11, 23-17.

The Little Hawks redeemed themselves against the Cedar Rapids Xavier Saints — who defeated City High last year in the first round of the playoffs — 24-17.

Equally as important as the rivalry on the field between the players is the school spirit of the students cheering on their team in the stands.

City High teacher John Burkle moved a test from Friday to the next week, knowing that so many of his students would be at the game rather than studying the night before.

The Battle for the Boot’s kickoff is Thursday at City High at 7 p.m.

— by Andy Cress

Regina harriers shine

The Regina girls’ cross-country team was victorious once again Sept. 8.

“I think it shows that our hard work is paying off, but as a team, we need to keep putting in effort,” said senior Nicole Kleinmeyer.

Kleinmeyer placed second, and Julia Hunter finished seventh.

The Regina boys placed second as a team. Freshman Brennan Bogert finished seventh and David Crompton placed 14th.

The Regina volleyball team fell (29-31, 20-25, 25-17, and 20-25) on Sept. 10 to Durant. Mallory Dixon had 41 assists. Jordyn Akers had 33 kills, and Kayla Balke had four blocks.

— by Amelia Fleming

West High runner victorious

West High’s cross-country runner Frank Canady finished first at the Cedar Rapids Invitational, leading his team to a second place finish Sept. 10. Brett Guerra won at the Luther Invitational Sept. 12, helping her team to first place.

The girls’ swimming topped both Cedar Rapids Washington, 111-74, and Cedar Rapids Prairie in a double-dual Sept. 8. Kathleen Bowman and Grace Murray each won four events on Sept. 10 to lead their team to a victory over Muscatine.

In boys’ golf, West High beat out three other teams for the victory on Sept. 8. Sam Eichhorn and Chet Flaum placed first for West with 39 strokes each.

Girls’ volleyball lost to Mount Vernon in the championship match of the West High Extravaganza Sept. 12. Alli O’Dean led the team with 39 kills.

— by Eleanor Marshall

Clear Creek Amana bounces Keokuk

Clear Creek Amana varsity football beat Keokuk on Sept. 11, 48-6, with unequal possession time. “The whole team just played well,” said coach Rodney Wells. “We can only get better.”

Cross-country coach Jane Astor said Clear Creek Amana’s varsity runner Emilie Jacobson showed great improvement on Sept. 8 in the meet against Tipton, placing at 22nd.

Other runners notched a couple of personal bests at the Tipton meet: Mani Espinosa ran 20:09; and Cecilia Hinsley finished in 21:26.

Varsity cross-country ran another meet against Benton Community, and Jacobson placed seventh.

Volleyball played against Williamsburg on Sept. 8, losing both matches. Coach Brian Bronzynshi said the team played aggressively at the net, noting, “We gave Williamsburg everything we wanted.”

The team also played Mount Vernon on Sept. 10, losing both matches.

At the South Hardin Tournament on Sept. 12, Clear Creek Amana varsity volleyball won two matches against Jefferson-Scranton and Gladbrook-Reinbeck, but lost three matches.

During the consolation finals against Gladbrook, sophomore Laura Neuzil had 10 blocks and made eight kills the third game.

— by Kayla Buffington