Show Stoppaz look to regain intramural trophy

Some people think second place is just the first loser, but for Anna Schmitz and the Show Stoppaz, it’s a chance for redemption.

The Show Stoppaz, the winners of the women’s All-University Championship in 2007, hopes to earn that title again this season. After a second-place finish in last year’s final championship points standings — a mere five points shy of the first-place Dime Pieces — the team is hungry for another Herky Trophy, which is awarded to the team with the most intramural championship points.

“Last year was a disappointing second-place finish,” said Schmitz, the team’s captain. “We proudly display the Herky Trophy from two years ago in the living room of our apartment and would like to get another.”

In order to accrue men’s and women’s intramural-championship points in open events, the teams must consist of either all males or all females and must have the same players throughout the year, something that the women in Show Stoppaz have been able to do since 2006.

Schmitz founded the team with roommates Erin Tuken and Kendall Gifford. Last year, however, the Show Stoppaz added five new teammates: Amy Carlson, Katelyn McCunniff, Kelsey Jenn, Caitlin Josten, and Amy Kacmarynski.

“Being seniors this year, we would like to use our experience to our advantage and repeat our championship title in flag football,” Gifford said. “We are especially hoping to improve our postseason run in basketball, because playing at Carver would be just as exciting as playing in the Bubble last year.”

The Show Stoppaz haven’t just dominated in the realm of women’s intramurals, though. Last year, the team sided with Team Chino, winners of the men’s All-University Championship in the co-recreational league.

The hybrid “Chino Stoppaz” was placed third in the final league standings.

“The co-ed league was also a lot of fun, and we’re hoping to keep it going this year,” Schmitz said.

Flag football and basketball award the most points — anywhere from 50 to 150 depending on where a team finishes — because those sports hold the longest seasons, in addition to a tournament.

Smaller team sports or individual sports, such as tennis or golf, can still earn a team or person up to 60 or 75 points, respectively.

Tuken said the 2008 flood washed away an opportunity to win the women’s All-University title when water damage forced officials to cancel spring softball — a sport that awards between 50 to 125 points.

“Because we lost by around five points, I was little disappointed,” she said. “We will pull through and win it this year.”

A new year brings new teams, but for the women’s side, there will only be four squads for flag football. The low number of teams may breed some intense competition, but Schmitz says she is looking forward to this year’s activities.

“I played volleyball, basketball, and softball and ran track all four years of high school,” she said. “I loved sports and wanted to keep playing during college without the time commitment of a college sport.

“Sports were the main thing I missed from high school, and intramurals gives me the opportunity to still enjoy them.”