Big Ten Preview: Hawkeyes in Big Ten Top 3

Expectations are sky high in Iowa City this fall, and why wouldn’t they be?

The Hawkeyes enter 2009 ranked 22nd nationally and ended 2008 with four-straight victories to finish with a 9-4 record, including a 31-10 victory over South Carolina in the Outback Bowl. In fact, Iowa was the only Big Ten team to win a bowl game last winter.

Combine that with the number of players returning on offense, defense, and special teams, and the Hawkeyes appear poised to play in another New Year’s Day bowl game this season.

“Last year, we experienced some success, but we definitely wouldn’t call a nine-win season successful,” senior linebacker Pat Angerer said. “There’s a lot of improvement that needs to be done. We need to work a lot harder to get to where we want to be.”

Among those returning on offense for Iowa this season is junior quarterback Ricky Stanzi, who won the 2008 QB competition with the outgoing Jake Christensen. Also being looked upon to provide leadership this season on offense are senior tight end Tony Moeaki and junior offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga, who is widely considered among the top offensive linemen in college football.

“[Bryan’s] just real tough in every way — mentally, physically,” junior offensive lineman Julian Vandervelde said. “He’s always getting after guys. He’s always finishing through the whistle. You see a guy play with that kind of heart, and you really want to step up your game and play the same way.”

The biggest loss offensively is in the backfield, with Shonn Greene bolting for the NFL. Sophomore Jewel Hampton looked like a lock to replace the Doak Walker Award winner, but a lingering knee injury has opened the door for junior running back Paki O’Meara, who will get the start on Sept. 5 against Northern Iowa.

Defensively, the Hawkeyes lose two valuable leaders along the defensive line in Mitch King and Matt Kroul. To fill the leadership void, each part of the defense consists of players being counted on to have big seasons.

Among them are Angerer and fellow senior linebacker A.J. Edds, junior defensive linemen Adrian Clayborn and Christian Ballard, and junior defensive backs Amari Spievey and Brett Greenwood.

“We have eight guys returning, so in theory, if every guy is better than he was last year, which he should be … they should all be better,” Iowa defensive coordinator Norm Parker said. “I think we have a chance to be decent.”

The pieces are in place for a monumental campaign, but the obstacles in the way are daunting. Perhaps nothing is more challenging for Iowa this season than the road portion of the team’s schedule.

After a battle with Iowa State in Ames next week, the Hawkeyes have about as tough an away slate in conference play as one could ask for, playing all of the Big Ten’s preseason top three — Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan State — plus a trip to Wisconsin and a rowdy Camp Randall Stadium in Madison.

In addition, the games at Penn State on Sept. 26 and at Michigan State on Oct. 24 will be played under the lights.

“If you’re going to be a good team, you’re going to have to handle the road,” Ferentz said. “We know every one of those environments will be tough.”