Gowen, Cano win contest

The winners of Tuesday’s punt, pass, and kick competition during the Kickoff Classic at Hubbard Park became official on Wednesday — UI graduate student Marlene Cano and senior Matt Gowan took home the title in the women’s and men’s divisions, respectively.

Gowan, a former high-school football player, beat out 52 other male contestants to win the contest with a combined punt, pass, and kick distance of 459 feet, topping the next best total by 14 feet.

“Intramurals here are pretty competitive, so it makes it fun,” said Gowan, who plans on playing flag football this year.

Gowan didn’t lead in any of the three categories, however. His 147-foot pass paled in comparison to Brian Fleshner’s 172-foot throw, and Gowan’s 130-foot punt fell nine shy of Andrew Epstein’s 139-foot boot, which led the day.

The Iowa football team may want to lookout for Logan Williams, who recorded the farthest single kick distance on the day with a 206-foot bomb from the tee — equivalent to a 69-yard kick off.

To win the women’s competition, Cano posted a very respectable aggregate score of 292 feet. Her stats came in well above the two other female participants, notching a 97-foot kick, a 101-foot punt, and a 94-foot toss.

Cano, a former soccer player in high school, said she plans to play co-rec intramural sports this year if she can get a team of graduate students together.

She knows it might be significantly harder to field an all-female team. The low participation in the women’s punt, pass, and kick competition could prove Cano correct when it comes to sign-ups later in the year.

“Girls who haven’t played competitive sports are a little shy to try out,” Cano said.

Both Gowan and Cano will receive the first of many “Intramural Champion” T-shirts given out this year. All intramural sports winners — individual or team — will receive the T-shirts from Recreational Services.

Big week coming up for intramural sports

There will be no time to rest for the Recreational Services staff next week.

“Next week will be a bear,” Associate Director Mike Widen said during Wednesday’s weekly Recreational Services meeting at the Field House. Between sports sign-ups and training the flag-football official, intramural sports will be one of the main activities at forefront of students’ minds in the coming week, he said.

Flag-football sign-ups are on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1, and game officials will be recruited at the IMU Job Fair today with training beginning on Aug. 30 and continuing on Aug. 31.

Other notable sign-up dates coming up:

• Sand volleyball, Sept. 3.

• The registration deadline for the Sept. 27 intramural golf tournament is Sept. 18. The tee time has been changed to 1:30 p.m. Registration for the golf event, which will be held at Finkbine Golf Course, is done online. Forms can be found at the Recreational Services website.