Alexander sparks win in Game Time contest

Led by the play of Iowa junior Kachine Alexander, Coralville Hy-Vee beat L.L. Pelling Company/Cullen Painting, 88-77, Thursday night in a Game Time contest in the North Liberty Community Center.

Alexander, who had notched three-straight triple-doubles going into Thursday’s contest, was two assists shy of her fourth-consecutive triple-double. The Minneapolis native ended the night with 34 points, 13 assists, and eight rebounds — all game highs. Also shining in the Coralville Hy-Vee win was Coe College’s Kayla Lincoln, who finished the game with 25 points.

Hy-Vee was without incoming Iowa freshman Morgan Johnson and junior Kelsey Cermak but still managed to lock up the No. 1 seed for next week’s playoffs, finishing 9-1 in the summer league.

“We were short-handed today,” Alexander said. “We don’t have our two top players — Kelsey and Morgan, and [Marion High School’s] Morgan Paige. So it was a little difficult; we were undersized playing against Kelly [Krei] and those tall girls, but I think our team did pretty well.”

Hy-Vee head coach Mike Stoermer was impressed with his team but admitted it was a little difficult playing short-handed.

“Getting Kachine the ball and letting her play [was the key to victory],” he said. “She creates not only for herself, she creates for our other players, and that really helps.”

He said Johnson and Cermak will both be back for the playoffs, which will begin July 21.

Pelling/Cullen also had a key player not on the court, going without Hawkeye sophomore Hannah Draxten, who had back spasms. Stepping up in her place was Iowa sophomore Kelly Krei, who finished the game with 24 points, 11 rebounds, and five assists.

Also playing well in the loss was Southwest Minnesota State’s Trisha Van Dusseldorp and Coe’s Sarah Anciaux. Van Dusseldorp had 18 points, while Anciaux had 15 points and six rebounds.

The loss gives Pelling/Cullen an overall record of 2-8, but thanks to being on the winning side of a coin-flip, it will be the third seed in the Game Time playoffs.

Despite the loss, Pelling/Cullen coach Randy Larson was happy with his team’s performance.

“What I’m looking for more than wins and losses is are they playing the right way,” he said. “Are they playing together, are they hustling every time, are they trying to get better every night? There is no doubting our team, they’re great kids, and I’m not disappointed with a single one of them.”

The July 21 semifinals will be played in a double-header format. Coralville Hy-Vee will face Goodfellow Printing/Imprinted Sportswear, which will be the playoffs’ No. 4 seed at 6 p.m.

Following that contest, Pelling/Cullen will take the hardwood in a 7:30 p.m. tip-off against the No. 2 seed, Active Endeavors/McCurry’s. Both games will be played in the North Liberty Community Center, with the winners meeting on July 23 in the championship game.