May shines in Prime Time win

Incoming Iowa freshman Eric May is continuing upon his MVP-caliber Prime Time League play, leading his Mike Gatens Real Estate/McCurrys’ team with an explosive performance past Culver’s of Coralville, 105-98.

The Hawkeye drove at will, shot on command, and found the open guy continually. His 31 points along with UNI big man Jordan Eglseder’s 32 were just too much for Culver’s to handle.

May was thrilled that his team sealed the deal late and was happy he caught fire in the final five minutes of the game.

“I was comfortable. I was relaxed,” he said. “I’m confident in my shot, so it makes a big difference. I was thinking to get good shots. I wasn’t trying to force anything, and that makes a big difference.”

Both teams’ field-goal percentages were through the roof. Shots were falling for everyone on the floor for the majority of the game. Culver’s went down, spotted up, and nailed a 3-pointer.

Gatens/McCurry’s countered, upping the tempo back down the floor, spotted up, and sank a 3-pointer. The game was exciting.

Then, with a little under four minutes left and Gatens/McCurry’s only up one, lightning struck. May ignited a late rally, increasing its lead to eight in under a minute, and Gatens/ McCurry’s ran away.

“We’re hitting shots. I think on a stretch we hit like four in a row,” May said. “I mean they were shooting like crazy; I guess we played some pretty solid defense toward the end of the game.”

The first half was difficult for May. The offense is built heavily around Eglseder down low and May’s ability to slash and drive. Every time May took a step, Culver’s collapsed, forcing him to kick it out.

The second half saw a change for Gatens/ McCurry’s. The team starting hitting 3s down the stretch, forcing Culver’s to guard the perimeter. This allowed May to drive, and he ate them up.

Gatens/McCurry’s head coach Randy Larson was thrilled the lanes opened up for his star.

“You only need to make a couple shots, and then the defender starts worrying and thinks he better go out on them,” Larson said. “We have great drivers. Eric May is a very, very good driver. That’s what he’s been missing and he gave it to us late.”

Culver’s head coach Ron Nove was happy with his team’s performance, but he thought it just ran out of gas. The team had only six players dress.

“You play 38-40 minutes in this game and playing as hard as there will, and they were all getting tired,” Nove said. “Having six guys doesn’t give us enough subs.”

Although Culver’s lost, Hawkeye sophomore Andrew Brommer had a solid game. He scored 22 points and was perfect from the charity stripe, making all six attempts.

Nove sees great improvement in Brommer and thinks the he will continue to excel.

“Andrew has been playing very well the last three or four ball games,” Nove said. “He’s getting stronger, getting a little tougher. He just has to get a little meaner, but he had some good plays tonight and hit some shots. He really worked the boards well.”