Incoming Hawk Nesbitt guides Game Time squad to win

L.L. Pelling/Cullen Painting took advantage of having the only future Iowa women’s basketball player on the court.

Incoming freshman Trisha Nesbitt finished the game with 12 points, six assists, and four rebounds to help lead Pelling/Cullen a 76-68 win over Goodfellow Printing/Imprinted Sportswear on Thursday evening in North Liberty.

Nesbitt was 4-for-11 from the field, but she did her part by moving the ball and creating plays. Pelling/Cullen received contributions from everyone; each player on the squad scored at least one basket.

Aside from Nesbitt, Southwestern Minnesota State’s Trisha Van Dusseldorp and New Orleans’ Rachele Monroe also shone in the Pelling/Cullen win. Van Dusseldorp finished the game with 22 points, and Monroe finished with 18 points and six rebounds.

In a losing effort, Goodfellow/Imprinted’s Terri Dirks had 19 points, Krista Moser had 17 points, and nine rebounds, and Taylor Shull had 10 points, seven assists, and five rebounds.

Pelling/Cullen had a 36-31 lead at the half and never looked back.

“We were smart with our shots, and we were able to get back in our help defense, so they weren’t getting easy buckets underneath,” Nesbitt said. “We kept pushing the ball, and getting stops really helped our runs to keep going forward.”

Pelling/Cullen didn’t necessarily have a game plan, but she ensured that one wasn’t needed.

“We didn’t really have any plays, but we know that we want to get out and run because we’re a lot quicker than most teams,” she said. “We have a lot of really good guards, so we just need to take good shots, and take our time, and just push the ball.”

What didn’t show up on her stat line was her all-around natural leadership ability. Pelling/Cullen coach Randy Larson had high praise for Nesbitt and the qualities she displayed.

“[Nesbitt] is a natural leader, and those are just hard to find. The reason she is a college-level player is her leadership ability,” he said. “She is awfully important. She’s active, she’s aggressive, and look at her, she’s all over the stats.”

Both Nesbitt and Larson feel that her transition will be an easy one.

“I’m ready, it’s a big transition,” Nesbitt said. “It’s pretty exciting and a great opportunity, and I will keep doing what I have to do to get better.”

Larson is confident of what Nesbitt will bring to the Hawkeyes next season and beyond.

“I think she has a little bit of a luxury because [Iowa] has some good young players who don’t have to come in and play right away,” Larson said. “But I don’t think they would have to hesitate one minute about letting her play at Iowa this fall. She’s ready to go.”

Pelling/Cullen’s next game will be June 23 at 6 p.m. against Active Endeavors/McCurrys. Goodfellow/Imprinted’s next game is at the same date and time against Coralville Hy-Vee.