Bond vote to affect off-campus UI students

Mann Elementary is seen on Sunday. The school is one slated to be renovated under the School District Facilities Master Plan. The plan calls for renovations at Mann to take place from spring 2018 to fall 2019. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

The results of the Iowa City School District bond vote today could impact University of Iowa students who live off campus.

By DI staff

Many University of Iowa students stand to be affected by the Iowa City School District bond vote today.

The $191.5 million bond will be paid off through an increase in property taxes. The tax amount increase for the bond depends on property value; for a home value of $50,000, the monthly increase is projected to be $1.93. Homeowners can find their home-value assessment online through Iowa City assessor.

The school bond, if approved, would fund the School District’s Facilities Master Plan, which would create classroom additions, facility renovations, HVAC-system updates, and other repairs and upgrades. Officials plan for the bond to be paid off by 2042.

UI Student Government President Jacob Simpson said it was possible that rents in the off-campus would be affected.

“Students should become informed about how it would impact them and future students,” he said. “If we’re looking to improve the education that students are receiving before they come to the University of Iowa, I think that’s something students should consider.”

UI senior Kelsey McCoy, who lives off-campus, said she had heard about the bond but didn’t know much about it.

RELATED: Iowa City community stands divided over school bond

“I would say as long as the money from rent is going toward schools and education so that children aren’t growing up ignorant, then I’m OK with it,” she said.

UI senior Alexander Hopkins, who also lives off-campus, agreed with her.

“I think money raised through rent or other property taxes is valid and necessary if it’s going to education,” he said.

Simpson said many students are not informed about the bond but should be.

“Students can learn about the bond online, and they can find their voting locations on the Secretary of State’s website,” he said.

School Board President Chris Lynch said this is a local opportunity to support schools.

“Trust me, I have two kids at University of Iowa right now, so I fully understand the tuition point of view, but I think it gets back to our common objective,” he said. “We need to adequately fund education, whether it’s K-12 or postsecondary education, and we’re basically not seeing that from the state level or federal level, and this is our local opportunity to support education.”

Lynch noted that schools were an important issue when people decide to settle in Iowa.

• Bond vote to affect off-campus UI students

Libertarians feeling left out in media cold

Breaking News

Hawk Alert: Man with knife seen outside Catlett Hall

Crime/Courts

Suspicious male reported near Rochester Street

From Iowa to Israel: The search for my Jewish identity

Mayflower operates at 60% capacity to give returners on-campus living space

UI Hospitals & Clinics

UI cystic-fibrosis research team awarded $11.5 million grant

UI students petition for birth control

UI faculty promoting healthier habits to reduce Iowa’s high obesity rate

Downtown

New Iowa City animal services coordinator named

DITV

DITV Newscast: Sept 25