UI Main Library to be closed from Oct. 27-30 for water outage

The outage results from an ENGIE utility construction project being done at the library.
Jake Maish
University of Iowa Main Library is seen on Wednesday, April 15, 2020.

The University of Iowa’s Main Library will be closed from Friday at 5 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. Monday due to a water outage.

UI librarian John Culshaw alerted the university community of the temporary closure, which stated the outage is related to a construction project being done by ENGIE.

UI Facilities Management attributed the library’s closure as necessary for the installation of new steam and condensate lines for the Main Library and the English-Philosophy Building.

According to a Facilities Managment Alert, the water service for the Main Library directly interferes with the route of the new steam and condensate lines and needs to be relocated.

Once the piping is installed, the water service needs to be tested in order to ensure that it meets the requirements for safe drinking water.

Despite the closure, Culshaw said the UI community is encouraged to submit any book requests through the library’s online delivery service before Friday so they can be sent to offices, homes, or another campus library.

During this time, the Art Library, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, Lichtenberger Engineering Library, Marvin A. Pomerantz Business Library, Rita Benton Music Library, and Sciences Library will have open hours on Sunday.

The Hardin Library will be open on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Anne Bassett, senior director of communications for the university libraries, wrote in an email to The Daily Iowan that no access routes will be affected by this closure.