Rookie Eva Pattison adds to Iowa women’s soccer team’s stingy backline

The defender has impressed early in her Hawkeye career with her physicality and work ethic.

The Iowa women’s soccer team has had a stingy defense all season, and first-year defender Eva Pattison recently played a key role in the Hawkeyes’ firm backline.

Pattison has started in five of Iowa’s six contests in the Big Ten after not starting in any of the Hawkeye’s non-conference games.

“The transition from club to college soccer was different,” Pattison said. “We focus a lot more on tactics and film, so I can’t just walk on the field, I actually have things I have to focus on and work on.”

Pattison said she wanted to start right away — like any competitor — but thought watching the team from the sidelines and learning Iowa’s system helped calm her nerves, and eased her into collegiate soccer.

“[Pattison’s] patience and work ethic to continue to get better without any promise of playing time is the reason why she’s succeeding right now,” Iowa head coach Dave DiIanni said.

Fourth-year defender Samantha Cary said she was impressed with Pattison after their first practice together in July. It was just a matter of figuring out how Pattison fit into Iowa’s formation.

Having team captains Macy Enneking and Cary surrounding her made Pattison’s transition into a starting role that much easier.

“There’s just constant support from the leaders,” Pattison said. “When I become a senior and hopefully a leader for the team, I hope I act the same way they do.”

Cary relates to Pattison, as she was also once a first-year starting on Iowa’s back line. As a captain, Cary has taken Pattison under her wing to help her grow.

“Eva lived in my house this summer. We had dinner together every night,” Cary said. “Being able to have that foundation is important, that way in a game if it’s me giving her direction or hyping her up, she knows it’s because I truly mean it.”

Iowa stood out to Pattison right away. She said she visited and knew that Iowa City was where she wanted to play soccer. She added that she fit right in with the Hawkeyes’ defensive approach, and Iowa checked all the boxes.

Hailing from a club team in Chicago, Pattison welcomed the physical tactics and overall play of the Big Ten; she thinks it suits Iowa’s style. She said she enjoys the competitive challenge every game brings.

DiIanni is impressed with how quickly Pattison has adapted to the Big Ten and how well she found her role within the team.

“She’s one of those teammates that every team needs,” Enneking said. “She’s the one that will kind of start throwing punches for you if something happens, so I think she’s a personality fit for this team.”

DiIanni thinks Pattison still has some growing to do before she consistently plays all 90 minutes in a match, but said she has been open to learning so far, and if she continues on that path, she will see success.

“I’ve been working on the tactics and transitioning from a four-back from club into a three-back,” Pattison said. “I think the more the team plays it, the more I get used to it.”

As Pattison continues to grow and establish herself within the team, she hopes she can be seen as a leader.

“I just want to keep playing and showing what Iowa soccer can do and be a part of that,” Pattison said.

Pattison is one of 13 first-years on the team, and Cary thinks that the group is not only filled with great soccer players but also phenomenal people who will leave their mark on the program.

“I feel like they totally embody what it means to be a confident female athlete at a time that not everyone loves confident female athletes,” Cary said of the first-years. “I’m extremely proud to be able to get on the field with them.”