AJ and The Queen is a fun Netflix binge for RuPaul fans and beyond

While the plot falls short, AJ and The Queen is a good time for RuPaul fans looking for more of the iconic drag queen.

TNS

Robert Lee — aka the drag queen “Ruby Red” (played by RuPaul) — takes part in a wet T-shirt contest supposedly set in Zanesville in the third episode of “AJ and the Queen” [NETFLIX]

Jenna Post, Arts Reporter

When it was announced that RuPaul, known for hosting RuPaul’s Drag Race, the most popular drag queen competition on TV, was getting his own Netflix series, I wasn’t sure how to feel. On one hand, I’m always excited for more drag, even when it comes from some overly-dramatic shows, but I also couldn’t help but wonder if RuPaul could manage to come up with a cohesive plot, or if he could be taken seriously as an actor.

More often than not, RuPaul’s Drag Race is so over the top that it becomes nonsensical, but that’s not a problem for a reality show. As anyone who’s ever indulged in reality TV knows, anything that grabs a viewer’s attention is good for reality TV.

However, plot-based TV series don’t work the same way. Viewers tune in to see how the previous episode’s cliffhanger ending is resolved, or to find out if their favorite characters are finally going to get together.

When I sat down to binge AJ and The Queen, I discovered it lives in the space somewhere between a TV series and a reality show. While all the events in the show are scripted and fictional, the show doesn’t let its viewers forget that they’re watching RuPaul.

RuPaul plays a character named Robert, known as Ruby Red while he’s in drag. Robert is saving up money to open his own drag club, but life takes a dramatic turn when his money is stolen.

RELATED: Final episode of Life is Strange 2 gives players mixed emotions about the final product

Although he’s playing a character, his fans know he’s essentially playing himself. His character’s ringtone is one of RuPaul’s own songs, he frequently watches Oprah — who RuPaul is a huge fan of — and dozens of contestants from RuPaul’s Drag Race made cameos throughout the show.

Constant reminders that I’m watching a celebrity would normally take me out of a show, but in this case it was AJ and The Queen’s biggest strength. Upon realizing that AJ and The Queen was created purely to showcase talents and interests that RuPaul doesn’t get many chances to display on RuPaul’s Drag Race, it makes the show a lot more enjoyable.

RuPaul wouldn’t have a career without the ability to be funny, so I wasn’t surprised by his comedic acting. It was his dramatic acting, though, especially in the first episode, that was genuinely impressive. Although the show is primarily a comedy, there were plenty of softer moments that showed the audience RuPaul can do it all.

There’s no denying that the plot is a means to an end, and it definitely surpassed my suspension of disbelief at times, but by the time I was finished I wasn’t really bothered by it.

That’s unusual for me, because I’m the type of person who loves to pick plots apart, but when the end credits rolled I found myself simply appreciating that a show like this even exists on Netflix, despite its imperfections.

A comedy about a drag queen driving cross-country to make some money isn’t exactly groundbreaking, but using a celebrity like RuPaul to show people that drag can be a part of mainstream comedy without it being the butt of the joke was a good move. If famous drag queens can get their foot in the door, others can follow.

I make no promise that AJ and The Queen will blow your mind, but if you’re in the mood for a fun comedy with some overall good acting and one the world’s most famous drag queens, it makes for a great weekend binge.