Highlights from Missouri women’s basketball’s press conference

On the eve of Iowa’s second round NCAA Tournament matchup, Missouri women’s basketball took to the podium to discuss the game.

Roman Slabach

Iowa center Megan Gustafson (10) runs on to the court before the Iowa/Mercer NCAA Tournament first round women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, March 22, 2019. The Hawkeyes beat the Bears 66-61.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

On Saturday, Missouri women’s basketball head coach Robin Pingeton took to the podium alongside Sophie Cunningham ahead of the Tigers’ March 24 matchup with Iowa.

Pingeton on how fundamentally sound Iowa is

“I think [Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder] was a great coach when I played for her. I think she teaches fundamentals really, really well. I think she’s got a great staff. A lot’s changed since back in the days I played for her and coached with her, but I think she’s always been really, really good at the fundamentals; and when you look at the University of Iowa women’s basketball team, they’re a really fundamentally sound, well-balanced team. And they’re really good. So we’re going to have our hands full.”

Pingeton on the challenges in facing Megan Gustafson

“She’s as good as advertised. I’ve watched as much film as I could with trying to get a little bit of sleep. She’s got a great touch, great feel. Her teammates do a great job getting the ball to her, in great positions. And so we have had the experience of playing against other great post players, with McCowan, and you think about Asia Wilson. You know, and you got to game plan. We’ve got a plan going into this. We might tweak a few things in the next 24 hours. But I think you’ve gotta be a little bit creative because she’s a hard guard for sure.”

Cunningham on Gustafson

“She’s a great player. Great player, and she’s a lot of their offense and we’re going to have to shut her down, but I know our team is prepared. We’ve watched film, and we have some idea. I’m not going to give you our game plan. That would be dumb of me. So our teams know what we need to do to get done. We’re ready to go, and I think from top to bottom we know what we have to get done.”

Pingeton on the Carver-Hawkeye environment

“We know it’s going to be a great environment. The turnout for the game for Iowa yesterday was just phenomenal and I’m sure it’ll be a packed house tomorrow. So we know it’s going to be a battle and we know it’s going to be a great environment, and we’re just really blessed and excited to see another day in the NCAA Tournament.”

Cunningham on the Carver-Hawkeye environment

“It’s definitely going to be a battle, it’s going to be a great game. (Pingeton) hit on it, great environment, kind of like that South Carolina environment. So we have that experience under our belt, too. But it’s going to be fun, and I can’t wait for tomorrow.”