What happened, what’s next: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 2

The Hawkeyes are sending seven into the quarterfinals with an eye on more bonus points for the team standings.

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa’s 125-pound Spencer Lee wrestles NC State’s Sean Fausz during the second session of the 2019 NCAA D1 Wrestling Championships at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on Thursday, March 21, 2019. Lee won by major decision, 10-1.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

PITTSBURGH – With session two in the books, Iowa is looking towards Friday with seven of its wrestlers in the quarterfinals.

On Thursday night, the Hawkeyes focused in on their aggressive tactics and battled with opponents through the end – and even into overtime.

Before moving into the quarterfinals, take a look back at what happened in session two, and what is to come in on Friday.

125 – Spencer Lee defeats Sean Fausz (North Carolina State), Major Decision 9-1

Lee began the match with a takedown and never relinquished his lead. Fausz followed up with an escape, but Lee erased it with his own and tacked on another takedown in the second. After some back-and-forth, Lee put Fausz on his back for a four-point near fall that clinched a major decision.

In the quarterfinals, Lee will face Sean Russell of Minnesota. The two have squared off twice this season, with Lee coming out on top both times, once by major decision in the Big Ten Championships.

133 – Austin DeSanto defeats Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State), 7-2

Iowa’s 133 match took a turn when DeSanto and Bravo-Young went crashing into the scorers’ table, but the show must go on. DeSanto took the early lead with a takedown, Bravo-Young tied it up in the second, and then the momentum shifted when Penn State challenged a no-takedown call and lost. DeSanto scored an escape, a takedown, and a two-point near fall in the third period to secure the 7-2 win.

Next up, DeSanto will get a chance at avenging his loss in the 2018 NCAAs against Stevan Micic from Michigan, who is undefeated on the season.

141 – Max Murin defeats Michael Carr (Illinois), 4-3

Since the beginning of the season, head coach Tom Brands has been preaching wrestling for seven full minutes, and Murin did just that to secure another win for Iowa. He went down by a takedown to begin the match but came back with an escape and a takedown for the lead. Carr tied up the match, but it didn’t matter. Murin registered an escape in the third and held on for the quarterfinal bid.

Murin will face Penn State’s Nick Lee in the quarterfinals. Lee beat Murin by decision at Big Tens in 2019.

149 – Pat Lugo defeats Ryan Blees (Virginia Tech) in SV2, 4-2

Lugo has had plenty of experience with overtime matches this season, going 2-3 on the year. They each scored an escape in the first three periods, and then exchanged two more in the second and third overtimes. In the second sudden victory, Lugo scored a takedown to give Iowa yet another win.

Lugo will face the No. 2 seed in Ohio State’s Micah Jordan in the quarterfinals. The two faced off in 2016 with Jordan taking the decision 7-3.

157 – Kaleb Young defeats Ke-Shawn Hayes (Ohio State), Major Decision 14-2

The Hawkeyes spent the entire day in an offensive mode and nothing changed when Young stepped onto the mat. He led with a takedown and scored a four-point near fall in the first period. By the third, even though Hayes scored two escapes, it was too late. Two more takedowns secured the bonus points for Iowa.

Next up, Young faces Ryan Deakin from Northwestern. The two met earlier this season at the 2018 Midlands Championships, where Deakin took the 6-2 decision.

165 – Alex Marinelli defeats Thomas Bullard (North Carolina State), Major Decision 12-4

Marinelli’s match was more of the same as shown by Young. Marinelli started with a takedown, and the scoring went back and forth, with Marinelli earning takedowns and Bullard tallying escapes. Iowa’s record on the day improved to 15-0 with six bonus point matches.

Marinelli will compete against Mekhi Lewis from Virginia Tech in the quarterfinals, who won his second-round match by a fall in 6:49.

184 – Maxwell Dean (Cornell) defeats Cash Wilcke in SV1, 6-4

Iowa’s first loss of the tournament came in sudden victory. Wilcke went up 3-0 in the first, but stalling calls hurt him twice in the second to help Dean tie it up. In the first sudden victory, Dean scored a takedown going out of bounds to send a Hawkeye to the wrestle backs.

In the consolations, Wilcke will face off against Mason Reinhardt of Wisconsin.

197 – Thomas Lane (Cal Poly) defeats Jacob Warner in SV1, 4-2

Warner went up by a takedown in the first and held his lead, but in the third Lane came back with one of his own. In the first sudden victory, he overtook Warner by takedown.

Warner will wrestle Josh Roetman from Navy in the wrestlebacks.

285 – Sam Stoll defeats Conan Jennings (Northwestern), 1-0

Jennings chose the top position going into the second period and Stoll escaped, marking the only scoring of this match.

In the final NCAA quarterfinals of his career, Stoll will face Jordan Wood from LeHigh.

24 Team Points

DeSanto’s win against Penn State gave Iowa a much-needed boost in the team standings, and thanks to more bonus point matches, Iowa was within five points of Penn State at one point during the second session. Coming up, Iowa will need to focus on continuing to wrestle for a full seven minutes and tacking on points.