What happened, what’s next: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 1

Iowa couldn’t have asked for a better start to NCAAs than a perfect record and some bonus points. That’s exactly what it got.

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa’s 133-pound Austin DeSanto wrestles Appalachian State’s Cody Russell during the first session of the 2019 NCAA D1 Wrestling Championships at PPG Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on Thursday, March 21, 2019. Russell was disqualified, advancing DeSanto.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

PITTSBURGH – The Hawkeyes dominated their opponents and went a perfect 9-0 to begin the NCAA Championships. Two technical falls and a stalling disqualification gave the Hawkeyes bonus points they needed to keep pace in the standings with Penn State.

125 – Spencer Lee defeats Bryce West (Northern Illinois), Technical Fall 19-0 

Lee took control of his opponent for three takedowns and three four-point near falls – the last resulting in an 18-0 lead for the technical fall. His control on the mat amounted to an extra riding time point at the end.

Next up, Lee faces 14-seed Sean Fausz of North Carolina State. In his first match, Fausz took an 8-2 decision. In the other half of the 125 bracket, Northwestern’s Sebastian Rivera took his first match also by technical fall, 21-6.

133 – Austin DeSanto defeats Codi Russell (Appalachian State), Stalling Disqualification

DeSanto mirrored Lee’s aggressive nature on the match in the first period at 133, collecting three takedowns in the first two minutes. Russell earned his first stall warning just 15 seconds into the match and earned four more stalling calls in the first to hand DeSanto an automatic win and three team points.

Next up, DeSanto will face Penn State’s Roman Bravo-Young, who he defeated, 12-8, during the Big Ten Championships.

141 – Max Murin defeats Tristian Moran (Wisconsin), 3-2

Murin, the 22-seed, held his own for the upset against 11-seed Moran for the 3-2 decision. He scored a takedown in the first period and then fought on a defensive side to wind down the clock.

Next, Murin will face Michael Carr from Illinois, who he is 1-1 against on the season and 2-1 against all time. Murin defeated Carr to place seventh at the Big Ten Championships.

149 – Pat Lugo defeats Josh Maruca (Arizona State), 5-2

Maruca began the scoring with an escape in the first, but Lugo went on the offensive and tallied two takedowns, the difference coming in the second period. He tacked on riding time following the match for the decision.

Lugo will face Ryan Blees from Virginia Tech Thursday night for a chance to go to the quarter finals.

157 – Kaleb Young defeats Dan Reed (Colorado), Technical Fall 16-1

Young had complete control of the match from the beginning. After a takedown and two near falls in the first for an eight-point lead, he continued to be dominant. He began the second period with his second 4-point near fall of the match and two takedowns, which ultimately resulted in the win.

Next, Young winn face Ke-Shawn Hayes of Ohio State for a chance at the quarterfinals. At the Big Ten Championships, Young beat him by a major decision.

165 – Alex Marinelli defeats Joseph Smith (Oklahoma State), 7-4.

Marinelli went down 4-2 in the first and began the third period down against his 33-seed opponent. An escape and riding time put him within reach of a sudden victory overtime, but a takedown late and a stalling point created breathing room at the end.

Marinelli will face off against Thomas Bullard from North Carolina State on Thursday night. Bullard is 20-8 on the year and sits as the 16-seed in the tournament.

184 – Cash Wilcke defeats Nick Gravina (Rutgers), 3-2.

In the second period, Wilcke got Gravina’s leg up and sent him falling to the mat for a takedown and a 2-1 lead. An escape tied the score, but another escape by Wilcke and a fought off near-takedown sealed the match in Iowa’s favor.

Next, Wilcke will face Maxwell Dean from Cornell, who is the 5-seed and went 21-5 on the season.

197 – Jacob Warner defeats Drew Phipps (Bucknell), 9-8.

Warner had a strong 8-2 lead going into the third period with over three minutes of riding time, and that extra control would prove to be the difference. A takedown and a four-point near fall by Phipps tied the match at eight at the end of regulation, and Warner’s extra point ended the match there.

Warner will face Thomas Lane from Cal Poly for a quarterfinal bid.

285 – Sam Stoll defeats Mason Parris (Michigan), 8-5.

In yet another stalling-riddled match, Stoll took advantage of the points given to him and made opportunities. He took the lead in the first period on penalty points, and a takedown in the second gave him the lead he needed for the win.

Next, Stoll will face Northwestern’s Conan Jennings, who he is 5-0 against in his career.

Team Standings

Iowa currently sits in fourth place with 14.0 team points, behind Oklahoma State (14.5), Ohio State (15.5), and Penn State (21.0).