Eight track Hawks earn first team All-American honors

Iowa track and field finished NCAAs with a variety of individual honors.

Joseph Cress

Iowa freshman Laulauga Tausaga attempts a throw during the Border Battle indoor track meet in the UI Recreation Building with Iowa, Missouri and Illinois competing on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017. The Hawkeye women defeated Missouri and Illinois, 105-33 and 96-51 respectively, while the men defeated Missouri, 107-27 and fell to Illinois, 85-74. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

After an up-and-down first day at NCAA Indoor Championships, the Iowa track and field team rebounded and earned a variety of honors on Day 2.

Eight athletes earned first-team All-American honors, tying the 2011 team for the most indoor first-team honors in school history.

Karayme Bartley, Chris Douglas, Brianna Guillory, Laulauga Tausaga, Collin Hofacker, Wayne Lawrence, and Mar’Yea Harris were the Hawkeye honorees, with Bartley earning a first-team distinction in two events.

Tausaga, who struggled on the first day of competition in the shot put, bounced back on the second day. She tied for fifth-place in the weight throw (22.23 meters) and became the first female athlete in school history to be named first team All-American in the event. Tausaga is also the second Hawkeye in program history, men or women, to earn that honor.

Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody was pleased to see Tausaga rebound at the highest stage in the country.

“I am proud of Laulauga, coming back after a tough Day 1,” Woody said in a release. “She fought and earned some big points for the team. It’s her first time earning first-team All-American indoors, so that is special. I know that will be a big motivation going into outdoor.”

Also on the women’s side, Briana Guillory added a second first-team indoor honor of her collegiate career. Guillory finished sixth the 400 meters with a time of 52.86.

Guillory, a senior, was happy to add another honor to her resume, and as a veteran, is now starting to see things come full circle.

“It feels good to be on the path to finishing college athletics as well as I began,” Guillory said in a release. “I’m finishing where I started. Alabama was actually my first indoor nationals, so I kind of feel like my girls from that year are here with me.”

On the men’s side, Douglas and Bartley each closed out the indoor season by finishing sixth in their respective events. Douglas ran 7.83 in the 60-meter hurdles, while Bartley pulled in with a time of 20.97.

Bartley was only getting started, however.

In the 1,600-meter relay, the squad of Hofacker, Bartley, Lawrence, and Harris earned first team All-American honors after finishing in sixth with a time of 3:07.68.

Hofacker, Bartley, and Harris are no strangers to receiving postseason honors, while Lawrence earned the distinction for the first time in his freshman season.

With the indoor season now completed, the Iowa men finished the season ranked No. 25 in the nation, while the women pull in at the No. 33 slot.

The Hawkeyes will now transition to the outdoor season, where Woody sees even bigger things for his program.

“This was a great weekend, but I’m excited for outdoor season,” Woody said in a release. “I’ve always thought of us as a better outdoor program, and I can’t wait to see what our team can do. We are looking forward to being our best in May.”

Iowa will open outdoor competition March 15-16 in Tempe, Arizona, at the Baldy Castillo Invitational hosted by Arizona State.