Gustafson stuffs the stat sheet, adds to historic season in Hawkeye win

Megan Gustafson gave everything she had to the Hawkeye women as they took down Michigan State on Thursday, but statistics can’t possibly describe her worth.

David Harmantas

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson (10) fights for a layup during a basketball game against Michigan State on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans 86-71. Gustafson led all scorers with 41 points.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Just by looking at Megan Gustafson’s stat line, it’s clear that she isn’t just incredible – she’s historic.

Her game against Michigan State was a microcosm of her work in Iowa City. She put up the impressive stats that catch analysts’ eyes, but she also put in the work that astounds Hawkeye fans.

It was easy to tell – especially since Iowa struggled in the first meeting between the two squads – that Gustafson was going to push her team through the whistle with a win.

And her dominant statistics prove that’s true.

Directly following the first whistle of the game, Gustafson had a monster night. She scored her team’s first 8 points and tallied 21 at the end of the first half.

But these stats can’t possibly tell the full story of her work. This is a common theme that has followed her throughout her time in an Iowa uniform. This became clear to Hawkeye fans as she wrestled for the basketball with Spartan players in the first half.

She put up her 21st double-double of the season in the win, but that doesn’t describe her hustle or grit.

The number of boards she got in Thursday night’s win (14) over Michigan State don’t tell the story of three Spartans hounding her as she clawed for board after board.

The sheer number of points she scores (an season-high 41 on Thursday night) proves that she’s something special to Iowa women’s basketball. It’s her attitude, hustle, and greatness that prove that she’s everything to Iowa women’s basketball.

Iowa was challenged in the first matchup between the two teams. Michigan State’s post player Jenna Allen had a big performance in that matchup, fueling drama after the game.

“There was a little talk after the game that they had the better post player,” head coach Lisa Bluder said. “That didn’t sit well with us too much. [On Thursday], I think you saw the best post player in the Big Ten and one of the best in the United States of America.”

Gustafson’s focus, though, is impenetrable by criticism.

“I try to focus on my team and what my team needs me to do,” Gustafson said. “I just have to keep focusing on our team no matter what.”

Along with her character and dynamic presence is a serious knowledge of the game; she is unfazed by any situation and knows when to take advantage of opponents.

This was true when Spartan post players came into foul trouble on Thursday night.

“When the people I’m playing against start getting in foul trouble, they start to hesitate,” Gustafson said. “I kind of smell blood in the water. I try to really put myself in the best position possible, in those situations especially.”

It was the same unexplainable presence she has on the court that made the difference for her team in the revenge-win on Thursday.

She’s even dynamic on the bench. As Monika Czinano – Gustafson’s likely replacement for next year – threw up a crucial and-1 for the Hawkeyes, Gustafson was the first to greet her in celebration.

The hard truth is that stats don’t do Gustafson justice. Her stirring presence in Carver-Hawkeye Arena gives her team an edge over opponents. Iowa fans knew this truth as they gave her a standing ovation upon her exit of the game.

There are only three home games left in the regular season to see her excel. All Hawkeye fans should attend a women’s game and see this team-minded, strong, and historic player finish off an incredible career.