Iowa wrestling’s DeSanto suspended for one match

Austin DeSanto won’t take the mat against Maryland after being issued a suspension.

Iowas+Austin+DeSantos+wrestles+Rutgers+Nick+Suriano+at+133+during+the+Iowa%2FRutgers+wrestling+meet+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Friday%2C+January+18%2C+2019.+

Lily Smith

Iowa’s Austin DeSantos wrestles Rutgers’ Nick Suriano at 133 during the Iowa/Rutgers wrestling meet at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, January 18, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Hawkeye 133-pounder Austin DeSanto will serve a one-match suspension when Iowa faces Maryland at Carver-Hawkeye on Friday, head coach Tom Brands announced Tuesday.

After racking up multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the season, DeSanto was penalized again following Iowa’s dual win at Nebraska on Feb. 3.

“I want to apologize to my opponents and teammates for my actions on the mat,” DeSanto said in a release. “I know they are disrespectful and there is no excuse. I accept the consequences of my behavior and the decision of Coach Brands, and have assured my teammates and coaches that I will better represent our team when I return.”

DeSanto currently holds a 14-1 record and a No. 3 ranking at 133 pounds.

His only loss came to Iowa State’s Austin Gomez in a 14-9 decision on Dec. 1. He will be eligible to return when Iowa hosts Indiana on Feb. 15.

“Austin knows his behavior on and off the mat is a reflection of this university and program, and I am very pleased with his response to this matter,” Brands said in a release. “I know he is eager to move forward.”