Racing for redemption

Swimmers leap off the starting blocks during a swim meet between Iowa and Michigan State inside the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium on Thursday, September 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened their 100th season of swim and dive. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s swimming and diving team begins its portion of championship season in Minneapolis at the Big Ten meet.

Swimming begins at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 21 with the 200-medley relay and the 800-medley relay. Feb. 22-24 will showcase preliminary rounds beginning at 11 a.m. and the finals at 6:30 p.m.

Numerous athletes are ranked in the Big Ten for individual events going into the meet.

In the 50 free, Jack Smith (17th), Michal Brzuz (19th), and Joe Myhre (21st) are seeded. Smith comes in at No. 16 for the 100 free, with Myhre following him, tied for No. 18. Michael Tenney is seeded 17th in the 500 free, and Chris Dawson is at No. 24 in the 1,650.

RELATED: The Iowa women’s swimming team finished in 11th place at the Big Ten Championships

For the backstroke events, Kenneth Mende is tied for third in the 100 and sitting at No. 4 in the 200. Thomas Rathbun following in the 200 in 12th.

Daniel Swanepoel is seeded in the 100 and 200 breaststrokes at No. 8 and No. 9, respectively.

In the 100-fly, Jerzy Twarowski sits at No. 13, with Brzus following at No. 16. Twarowski is also seeded in the 200-fly at No. 22, behind Tenney at No. 13

In the individual-medley events, Mende is seeded at No. 21 for the 200, with Tenney at No. 17 for the 400.

In the diving well, Will Brenner, Matt Mauser, and Anton Hoherz are all seeded for both the 1-meter and the 3-meter competitions.

All the Hawkeye relay events are seeded top 10.