Behind enemy lines: Ohio State

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer speaks to members of the media during the Big Ten Media Days at McCormick Place Convention Center in Chicago on Monday, July 24, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

We had Edward Sutelan, the assistant sports editor for The Lantern, write a little bit about the Ohio State football team. Sutelan gave us insight on what he has seen from the powerful Buckeyes this season.

By Edward sutelan

Ohio State enters its matchup against Iowa with plenty of momentum, having just beaten Penn State, 39-38. The defense stuffed Heisman hopeful running back Saquon Barkley — only 44 rushing yards on 21 carries — and the offense clicked on all cylinders. The lone issue for the team seems to be the kickoff unit, which has appeared inept at times.

Here are some notes to be aware of heading into the game.

Defensive line among the most dominant in the country

Entering the year, Ohio State expected to rely on its defensive line to be the backbone of its defensive efforts, week in and week out.

The line has not disappointed anyone.

Led by its deep group of defensive ends featuring 2016 Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year Tyquan Lewis, Bednarik Award semifinalist Nick Bosa, Sam Hubbard, and Jalyn Holmes — and one of the top defensive tackles in the nation in Dre’Mont Jones — the defensive line has applied enough pressure on opposing quarterbacks to alleviate concerns the coaching staff might have about a suspect secondary.

The D-line has had little trouble breaking through lines. Ohio State has the second-most tackles for loss per game (8.9).

The Buckeyes also rank sixth in average rush yards allowed per carry (2.8), and have allowed just 7 rushing touchdowns this season.

RELATED: Three in 30: Iowa’s wins over Ohio State since 1987

Offense clicking on all cylinders

The offense that scored 16 points against Oklahoma is not the same one that put up 39 against Penn State. Quarterback J.T. Barrett appeared inaccurate and incapable of throwing the ball downfield during the first two weeks of the season, and questions emerged about if he had improved any from the prior season.

Since then, Barrett has thrown 22 touchdown passes and no interceptions. He’s passed for 1,668 yards and completed 74.8 percent of his passes during the six-game stretch. He appears far more in sync with his receivers now.

Barrett is not alone in that backfield, however, as he has the added benefit of lining up next to the latest Ohio State freshman running back to rush for more than 1,000 yards (redshirt sophomore Mike Weber) and the likely next running back to reach that threshold in freshman J.K. Dobbins.

Weber has made the most of his bruising body type and become a vulture on the goal-line with 5 touchdowns in just six games. Meanwhile, Dobbins has become a young lightning plug — he averages 7.6 yards per carry and has added 5 touchdowns.

Kickoff struggles continue

It has become a habit for coach Urban Meyer to voice his displeasure with the kickoff coverage this season. He called the unit “comical” and “a joke” following the win against Penn State, a game in which Barkley returned the opening kick for a touchdown.

In searching for a way to solve the issues, Meyer appears to have run into a wall. He said Monday neither redshirt junior Sean Nuernberger nor freshman Blake Haubeil — the two primary kickers on the team — are capable of kicking a touchback and said both players have often just kicked the ball down the middle of the field rather than attempting to hit the corner.

The offense is playing extremely well, and the defense has steadily improved. However, the kickoff unit remains a glaring hole on the team, and one that could easily be exploited by teams.