United Nations Day declared Oct. 24

United Nations Day declared Oct. 24

Maria Padron accepts a proclamation on the observance of United Nations Day during a city council meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

NICK ROHLMAN

NICK ROHLMAN

NICK ROHLMAN

The City Council of Iowa City announced Tuesday night a proclamation designating next Tuesday, Oct. 24 as United Nations day.

The council also aims to “encourage everyone to join in observing this day and focusing on the vision of a world filled with peace and justice, brought about by cooperation of all nations.”

The proclamation stated how the United Nations promotes peace and security, development, democracy, economic prosperity, global health, and human rights around the world.

“The Johnson County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the USA is committed to educating and mobilizing our local communities to build a stronger network of global citizens and leaders to create a more prosperous, safe, just, and sustainable world for all,” Mayor Jim Throgmorton read at Tuesday’s council meeting.

The proclamation also stated that Iowa City has a target for reducing carbon emissions that keep with the Paris Climate Agreement, which President Donald Trump pulled out of this past summer.

-Naomi Hofferber

Facebook Comments