Defense does its part against Michigan State

Iowa linebacker Ben Niemann tackles Michigan State tight end Matt Sokol during the game between Iowa and Michigan State at Spartan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Spartans with a final score of 10-17. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa’s defense single-handedly kept things competitive against Michigan State, shutting out the Spartans in the second half, but the Hawkeyes could not capitalize.

By Adam Hensley

Hawkeye fans found their team neck-and-neck in another winnable game on Sept. 30 for the second-straight weekend, before falling to Michigan State, 17-10.

The Spartans opened the game with a quick score on their opening drive.

Michigan State quarterback Brian Lewerke surgically sliced through the Hawkeye secondary; it only took the Spartans seven plays to score.

On the drive, Lewerke completed all five of his passes for 70 yards and a touchdown. Receiver Felton Davis totaled 4 receptions for 67 yards, including the 22-yard scoring strike in the game’s first four minutes.

“You just go out there and expect to come out and be ready to play every week,” linebacker Josey Jewell said. “You don’t want to come out in a sluggish start, especially against [Michigan State].”

But after Michigan State struck first, the defense tightened, allowing only 10 points for the remaining 56:42.

The Spartans’ second touchdown of the game came in the first quarter as well; Lewerke found Davis again, this time for a 6-yard jump-ball in the end zone.

After falling behind 14-0, Iowa responded early in the second quarter.

Akrum Wadley wove his way into the end zone, jumping over the goal line for 6 and cutting the Spartan deficit to 8 points.

RELATED: Hawkeyes continue their search for offense

From there, however, Iowa could not put together another drive resulting in a touchdown.

“The defense, they’re always doing their job to keep us in [the game],” Wadley said. “[The offense] just needs to execute better.”

Hawkeye kicker Miguel Recinos made a 43-yard field goal with a little more than nine minutes remaining in the game, but aside from that drive, miscues littered the offensive opportunities provided by a stout defensive performance.

“It was a frustrating and very disappointing loss for our football team,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said.

The Hawkeyes shut out the Spartans in the second half, holding Michigan State to 150 yards of total offense (43 rushing yards, 107 passing yards).

Meanwhile, Iowa’s offense increased its production (77 total yards in the first half, 154 in the second), but turned the ball over twice, both changes in possession resulting from fumbles.

Iowa marched down the field to open the second half, and while at the Michigan State 7-yard line, quarterback Nate Stanley lost the ball on what Ferentz deemed a “freak play.”

Stanley attempted to throw the ball, but it slipped out of his hand, and a Michigan State defender fell on it, erasing any chance of points on that drive.

Iowa’s defense forced a turnover on downs on Michigan State’s ensuing possession. The Spartans went for it on a fourth-and-1, but the Hawkeyes crashed into the backfield, stopping running back L.J. Scott for no gain.

Taking over at its own 30-yard line, Iowa’s offense drove down the field again. Tight end T.J. Hockenson hauled in a 22-yard reception to put the Hawkeyes in Spartan territory. But on the next play, receiver Brandon Smith fumbled the ball while attempting to turn upfield, and Michigan State recovered.

Just as in Iowa’s 21-19 loss to Penn State on Sept. 23, the defense kept the game close for the entire game. At certain points, both the Nittany Lions and Spartans moved the ball with ease on the Hawkeye defense, but the Black and Gold didn’t allow points.

“We can’t have these last two affect us in the next couple weeks,” Jewell said.