Women’s golf finishes 10th in Mexico

Iowa golfer Jessica Ip hits the ball at the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Saturday and Sunday Oct. 4-5, 2014. The Illinois Fighting Illini took first in the tournament, beating Iowa by 14 strokes. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa women’s golf team participated in its first El-Tigre Golf Invitational in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, but came up short, tying for 10th place overall with a final score of 910 (46-over).

Washington took first place with an overall score of 873. Following closely in second was Texas-San Antonio with a 874.
Iowa sent a lineup of seven to compete in the El-Tigre. Freshman Sophie Liu placed the highest for Iowa, tying for 24th place.

Liu jumped 10 spots Tuesday in the final round after shooting a one-below-par 71 on the last 18 holes. She ended the tournament with an overall score of 223 (7-over).

Junior Morgan Kukla was next up for Iowa, tying for 27th place. She carded a 225 with round scores of 80, 71, and a 74.

Junior Jessica Ip and senior Jessie Sindlinger finished in ties for 31st and 32nd place. Ip finished with an overall score of 226, with a birdie on the third hole to highlight the tournament.

Sindlinger shot 1 stroke behind Ip. She ended the tournament with 17 holes at or below par on in the last round Tuesday, with birdies on holes seven and 10.

Sophomore Kristin Glesne and sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe finished Tuesday tied for 52nd and tied for 59th. Glense shot a third-round score of 78 including 10 holes at or below par with three birdies to aid her overall score of 234.

Rennegarbe highlighted her final round by shooting 11 holes at par as well as a birdie on hole nine. She ended with a final score of 236 in the individual side of the tournament.

Rounding out the Iowa lineup was junior Elisa Suarez, shooting a three-round total of 240. In the final round, she shot 11 holes at or below par.

Iowa’s spring regular season is now over, and the Hawkeyes will look forward to the Big Ten Championships in Cincinnati on April 21-23.