Community IDs aid all in Johnson County

Ed Bornstein
A growing Iowa City skyline stands against a muggy afternoon sky on Monday, July 17, 2006. A story released Monday in Money Magazine ranked the city No. 74 on its “Best Places to Live” list out of an original pool of nearly 750.

Johnson County community unites to push community IDs as a way to foster inclusiveness.

By Jack Berning

Johnson County community IDs are a way for all residents, documented or undocumented, to be identified as a part of the community.

The IDs were first established in Johnson County in July 2015. One of reasons Johnson County provides the IDs is to help undocumented immigrants feel safer, said Fidel Estrada-Ayala, the president of UI Dream Chapter.

The community ID can be used in a wide variety of day-to-day interactions, such as opening a bank account in participating banks, confirming identify when using credit cards, getting a library card, and interacting with schools, city, and county agencies.

The ID cannot be used to get a driver’s license, board an airplane, purchase alcohol or tobacco, enter establishments with age restrictions, prove employment eligibility, or vote.

“When you are undocumented, you do not have any form of identification that is valid in this country. Many people fear of getting stopped by the police when they drive their car or just getting asked for some form of ID,” Estrada-Ayala said. “They obviously can’t do everything with it, but it still helps, as they can do things such as simply interact with county officials and law enforcement without having that same fear.”

The UI Dream Chapter is a part of a national group that advocates for undocumented immigrants.

Documented citizens have reason to get the ID as well — to be an ally for those living with anxiety of not having documentation, Estrada-Ayala said.

“I believe that members of the community can create safe networks between their family and friends of people they know, networks that can help undocumented immigrants in some way,” Estrada-Ayala said.

Sergio Awan, a board member at Center for Worker Justice in Iowa City, said that through the possession of community IDs, undocumented residents can feel more secure when dealing with police.

“We talked to the Police Department about this idea, and they said it would really help them out,” Awan said. “The first thing police do when talking to someone is ask for an ID. If residents, both documented and undocumented, present this ID to police, it gains legitimacy and is a great way to prove identification.”

The ID costs just $8 for adults and $4 for children. The ID also allows participation in discount programs offered by selected community businesses, and institutions.

Currently, more than 900 Johnson County residents have obtained the IDs. To receive the ID, the citizen must prove they live in Johnson County, which could be as simple as presenting a water bill.

“Everyone who lives in Iowa City is a citizen, and we treat them as such,” Iowa City Mayor Pro-Tem Kingsley Botchway said. “The community ID initiative was originally put forward by the county, and the city is completely on board and dedicated to protecting everyone’s rights.”