Brief: Big Ten honors nine Hawks

Tessa Hursh
Iowa offensive lineman Brandon Scherff talks to fellow lineman Sean Welsh and center Austin Blythe during a timeout at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. Iowa defeated Pitt, 24-20. (The Daily Iowan/Tessa Hursh)

Nine Iowa football players on the offensive side of the ball were named to numerous all-conference teams on Wednesday.

The list was highlighted by junior guard Sean Welsh and sophomore center James Daniels, who were both named third-team All-Big Ten by both the coaches and the media.

Welsh showed that he can be placed just about anywhere on the line and be successful. In a year with many injuries on the offensive line, that proved to be important.

Daniels took a major step forward after he saw some playing time as a true freshman in 2015, and hewas one of the most consistent performers on the line.

Senior tackle Cole Croston, who has missed much of the season because of an injury, and Akrum Wadley were both named third team by the coaches, honorable mention by the media.

Croston missed four starts this season and only played special teams against Penn State, splitting time between left and right tackle.

Wadley has emerged as Iowa’s biggest threat on offense in the past month, and had the offense opened up for him earlier, he would have probably found himself higher on this list.

Five other Hawkeyes were named to the honorable mention all-conference list: senior quarterback C.J. Beathard, junior tackle Ike Boettger, senior running back LeShun Daniels Jr., senior tight end George Kittle, and senior wideout Riley McCarron.

— by Blake Dowson