Hawkeyes wrap up Notre Dame tourney

The Iowa men’s tennis team finished competing at the Bobby Bayliss Invitational (hosted by Notre Dame) on Sunday with victories by Robin Haden and Jason Kerts.

The tournament got off to a pretty solid start for the Hawkeyes on Oct. 7, when sophomore Tony Leto beat Wisconsin’s Darius Mackenzie (6-4, 6-2).

Soon after, Leto teamed with senior Haden in doubles action, but the duo fell to Aws Laaribi and Gabriel Nemeth of Penn State (8-3). After the loss, the Hawkeyes turned their luck around by beating a doubles team from Memphis (8-2).

After competing in doubles, Haden played his first singles match of the season, but the native of Danderyd, Sweden, fell (6-3, 2-6, 7-5).

Like Haden, freshman Kerst was also defeated in three sets by Notre Dame’s Daniel Rayl, (6-4, 4-6, 6-2).

However, Kerst turned it around on Oct. 8 by winning both of his matches in three sets against Indiana’s Afonso Salgado and Sean Donahue of Louisville.

Haden was not able to beat Donahue, losing (6-2, 6-1), but he also picked up his first singles win of the season by taking down Salgado.

Leto, on the other hand, was not able to keep his momentum going from Oct. 7; he lost two matches, both to athletes from Marquette.

On the final day of the tournament, both Kerst and Haden won their singles matches. Leto tried to complete the trifecta by winning his match as well but ended up losing to Indiana’s William Peikarsky (6-3, 6-4).

Kerst got his chance to play in doubles action as well, teaming with Haden, but the duo fell to Rayl and Guillermo Cabrera of Notre Dame.

The Hawkeyes will continue their season next weekend as they travel to Valparaiso once again for the Crusader Invitational. In addition to traveling to Indiana, the team will compete in Harlingen, Texas, for the U.S. Tennis Association Futures Tournament.