FryFest kicked off memories this past weekend

People walk around booths at Fry Fest on Friday, Aug. 29, 2014. This year is the sixth annual Fry Fest celebration. (The Daily Iowan/Alyssa Hitchcock)

By Quentin Yarolem

The scene was the Coralville Marriott Hotel Conference Center, where thousands of people flooded the space, forming a sea of black and gold as the eighth-annual FryFest strolled into town on Sept. 2.

People of all ages and backgrounds gathered to discuss their favorite Hawkeye memories, debating what the greatest moment of that history was.

“It is probably [Rob Houghtlin’s] game-winning field-goal kick against Michigan,” said Karin Jagnow, a longtime Hawkeye fan.

Four rivalry statues that the Iowa football team won last season made an appearance at the festival: the Heartland Trophy, the Cy-Hawk, Heroes, and Floyd of Rosedale.

Arnold “Arny” Davis and Tori Sovers volunteered to help with the Floyd of Rosedale display.

“I work over at Windmill Manor, and he’s a resident there,” Sovers said.

Davis — who’s been a Hawkeye fan since he came to Iowa City — said, “We wanted to come out and volunteer.”

Vendors, collectors, and car enthusiasts came together to show off their Hawkeye pride and reminisce on seasons past.

Car enthusiast Todd Linden showed off his “Hawked-out” 1982 Ford Econoline, which he likes to call the “Hawkeye Special.”

“I’ve been coming since it started,” he said. “When there used to be a car show at FryFest, it won three years in a row. They stopped doing the car show, but they asked if we could bring it inside and make it part of the display.”

At the back of the center one could find old jerseys, Hawkeye buttons, and university pennants in a display called the Hawkeye Collections Showcase, a place where the line between educating and bragging was barely visible.

“The main thing I brought was my 1902 Hawkeye football schedule,” said Bob Hill, a longtime collector — but first-year FryFester. Hill took his time to explain the history behind the schedule to all the attendees who approached.

A stage was set up in the middle of the room, and a Hawkeye-theme fashion show took over. A crowd of people sat around the stage and watched as Herky and friends showed off the latest Hawkeye merchandise.

A plethora of family friendly activities included painting faces and  making buttons.

“I’ve worked five FryFests, but the museum has been here for more,” said Jill Donnenwerth, a worker at the Children’s Museum booth, where kids could make buttons and color sunglasses.

One of the schedule’s main attractions was the unveiling of a brand-new Hayden Fry statue, set to be erected at the northwest corner of First Avenue and Hayden Fry Way. The bronze statue features the classic Hayden Fry look: the legendary coach wearing a sweater, Hawkeye hat, and his iconic aviator sunglasses.

While helping to unveil the statue, Fry — who’s been receiving treatment at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics to aid in his battle with cancer — spoke to the attendees.

Unfortunately, Fry said, “this could be my last trip back.”